Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brunswick Stew

Happy Father's Day, y'all!

Been meaning to do this for a long time. Never made it before and, for that matter, haven't HAD it in forever. Georgia style stew from a Southern Soul BBQ recipe (I cut their recipe in half). Recipe called for chicken, pork, brisket and turkey. I didn't have brisket or turkey so I just added more chicken and pork. I didn't have any squirrel either. =) Preliminary steps done on the stovetop, then smoked with pecan for 2:30 on the large at 250° indirect, uncovered. Not bad. :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/southern-soul-brunswick-stew/13833/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2016
    Looks great brother. We make it around Christmas during the cooler weather. We always use squirrel, rabbit, turtle and crow for the meat. I'm going to try it some day with beef and pork just to see. Again, it looks great.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Looks great Michael! I wouldn't be a bit bothered by the lack of squirrel and or rabbit, personally. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Well, I have squirrels in my yard, but they're not dead. Maybe I could borrow Zip's pellet gun? =) I think the last time I had squirrel, I was about 10 years old.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Looks good. I've got my grandmothers recipe for Brunswick stew that I've been wanting to make. Planning on makIng it for the4th. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Good lookin pot of stew....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    SGH said:
    ... We always use squirrel, rabbit, turtle and crow for the meat. ...
    Crow?   CROW???

I thought the meat of carrion birds was supposed to taste terrible.  Seriously, you've eaten crow?  What does it taste like?
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Guess I am lucky being a mile from ssbbq. Friday they had smoked pork neck with gravy & rice
  • SGH
    Theophan said:
    SGH said:
    ... We always use squirrel, rabbit, turtle and crow for the meat. ...
    Crow?   CROW???

I thought the meat of carrion birds was supposed to taste terrible.  Seriously, you've eaten crow?  What does it taste like?
    We grew up eating crow. It's akin to blackbird in taste. Dare I say quite stronger and tougher though. Thus it usually spends a little time in the pressure cooker no matter the end dish. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Theophan said:
    I thought the meat of carrion birds was supposed to taste terrible. 
    I wouldn't recommend eating buzzard or vultures ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Theophan
    Crow breast is actually quite good. If you ever want to try crow, get you a few breasts, pound them with a meat mallet and pan fry them in butter. You might just be suprised my friend. I recommended the breasts because most folks will eat them when they want eat any other part of the crow. 

Status- Standing by.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I don't know much about birds, and have never had a wild one (I've always wanted to taste wild duck, but never have, and a friend who's a hunter said he's shot turkeys but doesn't really find them very tasty, said wild ones tend to be dry and not really super tasty), but I think of crows as carrion eaters and blackbirds as not carrion eaters, but I sure don't know.  I'm really amazed -- I thought any kind of carrion eater, definitely including crows, was supposed to taste terrible.  I thought that was where the old expression about "eating crow" came from.  Very interesting.  Thanks for the information!
  • SGH
    edited June 2016
    @Theophan
    There is actually a website dedicated to nothing but crow recipes. If I remember correctly it's called crowbusters.com. Also they dispel a lot of the myths surrounding crow.
    Before I hit the post button, I confirmed that it was crow busters. If I did it right the link should be below. 

http://www.crowbusters.com/

Status- Standing by.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Got to be the easiest thing to hunt. Kill one and all his friends come in to craw at you.  Shooting fish in a barrel.  

Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    My apologies to @Carolina Q for the crow hijack. 

Status- Standing by.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Looks great. I fell in love with "Big City Jawja Brunswick Stew a couple years ago after getting my egg. It is awesome !!!

There's a thread here on the forum somewhere from when I cooked it last.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Love a good Brunswick stew.  Looks good to me!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It looks delicious!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    dldawes1 said:
    Looks great. I fell in love with "Big City Jawja Brunswick Stew a couple years ago after getting my egg. It is awesome !!!

There's a thread here on the forum somewhere from when I cooked it last.
    Pretty sure the Big City recipe is the same as the Southern Soul stew. Real close anyway. Good stuff. Thanks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Carolina Q...I wonder if they make a sqirrel "assalt gun" ?!?!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited June 2016
    love a good brunswick stew, like to grind up the pull or chopped pork so it doesnt fall apart into the tiny strands. some castiron cornbread would be good with that =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2016
    love a good brunswick stew, like to grind up the pull or chopped pork so it doesnt fall apart into the tiny strands. some castiron cornbread would be good with that =)
    Mine was pretty fine already. I had run it through the stand mixer after it came off the egg (lazy man's chop). The chicken still had some chunk to it, but not the pork.

I haven't had cornbread in a long time, except the time I tried to replicate Skylight Inn stuff. Supposedly just corn meal and water. Never had Skylight's but was looking for some without sodium. Mine was truly awful! And hushpuppies would be better anyway. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut