Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling smoker/grill?

Options
Well it is traveling season for my Class C rv.  I love my XL but it is too heavy to take along with us.  The mini and mini max are also too heavy to remove from the basement storage compartments. I am 70+ years old...Has any one heard of or own a COBB cooker??  They weigh less than 20lbs.  Any opinion would be appreciated.  We are trying to keep the solution simple.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    You can cook a lot of good food on a $99 weber kettle. It weighs 32lbs. 
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    I would get a weber smokey mountain smoker for that.

Suwanee, GA
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    What type of charcoal should be used?  We use Rockwood for the Egg. Would the lump pieces be too large for the smaller grill?

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Or a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe @ $30-$60. If you need to move it around a lot, you might consider the models that have the bail arrangements so you can carry it with one hand. Or, I just discovered that Weber has a carry care for the Smokey Joe. https://www.amazon.com/Weber-6555-Smoky-Grill-Carrier/dp/B007CYJHME

I have had a Weber for a zillion years and always used Kingsford and a chimney starter. Never used lump at all until I got the egg. Either will work in the Weber. I've never even seen a bag of Rockwood, but Royal Oak (usually good sized chunks though certainly not Wicked Good size) works fine in my 14" Smokey Joe.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A friend of mine has a Cobb grill. He likes it. He uses it when he is camping/surf fishing.

He also has one of these - https://www.amazon.com/Cook-Air-EP-3620BK-Fired-Portable-Grill/dp/B00I058WKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466342300&sr=8-1&keywords=cook+air+grill

He prefers the Cobb. I've played with both of his. I'd prefer the Cobb also as it has no moving parts. If the electronics/fan in the Cook Air fail the cooker is unusable.

A Cobb and one of these portable Blackstone griddles might make for a good combo - https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Portable-Griddle-Outdoors-Camping/dp/B0195MZHBK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1466342946&sr=8-10&keywords=blackstone+grill
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    Another vote for Weber Jumbo Joe. I've had mine for three years, and I love it. I've taken it all over the country. Also, for less than $30, I built a height extender out of aluminum flashing and some rivets. With that, I can easily fit a Dutch oven, ham, or pork shoulder in the Jumbo Joe. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I just got a Volcano grill for vacation.  Trial run on the patio worked great.  I like that I can use Propane (20 lb or 1 lb tank), wood, lump or briquettes.  And it's a fire pit for s'mores.  25 pounds, collapses down to 18 inches by 5 inches, and comes with a nice carry case.  Get the lid and it becomes a smoker (hoping to do a pulled pork at the beach)

https://www.volcanogrills.com/

HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    I just got a Volcano grill for vacation.  Trial run on the patio worked great.  I like that I can use Propane (20 lb or 1 lb tank), wood, lump or briquettes.  And it's a fire pit for s'mores.  25 pounds, collapses down to 18 inches by 5 inches, and comes with a nice carry case.  Get the lid and it becomes a smoker (hoping to do a pulled pork at the beach)

https://www.volcanogrills.com/

That looks pretty neat.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    How about a worx cart to haul the minimax?  I know its another item to haul but i got one and cant believe how much i use it....just sayin'
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You can cook a lot of good food on a $99 weber kettle. It weighs 32lbs. 
    The ole Weber is all that some of us use. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.