Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

Options
i just put my new egg together and I'm pumped for my first cook.  

Question:  WHAT DO I COOK?

I know there are some temp limits on the first couple of cooks,  so I'm looking for ideas and tips. Preferably steaks.

Comments

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Steaks would be great.  Ribs would be great.  Chicken would be great, etc., etc.  You get the idea.  It's all good.  Congrats on your new favorite toy and hobby!
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• treydesean
    treydesean Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm looking for a good recipe that you can keep under 350, at least according to the website. If anyone has a good steak "recipe" for this lower temp I would appreciate it.

thanks BBQBuddy 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited June 2016
    Options
    First off Welcome and hang on to your wallet, these people around here will get you to looking at every gadget out there for the egg.

You could do steaks, just don't close down the lid and let it go up to 5 or 600. A hot fire for steaks is easy with the lid open and the platesetter out.  That was my first cook.

For a first low and slow do some pulled pork.  Get a small 5-7 lbs. bone-in pork butt, 250-275 for about 1hr/lb.  When the bone pulls free (around 200 IT) should be ready. Pork butts are very forgoving 

Try the Memphis Dust rub for that butt from amazingribs.com

Here's a couple of great websites for new eggers.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

http://amazingribs.com/index.html
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Spatchcock a whole chicken @ 350 for about 45 minutes. Really easy and probably the juiciest chicken you'll ever have. Takes pics btw and let us know how your cook came out
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    Can't go wrong with chicken 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Here's a link to a great site for all questions about ceramic cooking.  Give the recipe section a look for the proverbial "intro to spatchcock chicken cook".  
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  BTW- you will realize that this place will quickly answer any questions you may have and usually with more than one right answer.  That's the fun of the BGE-pick one and run with it.  Change it up and go again.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    I would go chicken or a turbo pork butt. Just depends on how long you want to spend staring at your new significant other.
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Ribs. 2-1-1
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    Spatchcock a whole chicken @ 350 for about 45 minutes. Really easy and probably the juiciest chicken you'll ever have. Takes pics btw and let us know how your cook came out
    +1 on the spatchcock or a pork butt (pulled pork)

Options
    Yup 
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • treydesean
    treydesean Posts: 16
    Options
     Here is the aftermath of my first cook. It was easy and hands-down the best and most juicy chicken that I have ever cooked. I didn't put a whole lot of effort into this but it turned out fantastic thank you all the help and let you know how my smoked turkey turns out today