Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coconut shell charcoal

Options
have anyone used coconut charcoal? How much do it take for a long cook vs lump?

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I looked at it, decided it costs way more than it is worth in BTUs compared to lump.
    I have heard that they are flavorless, so add smoke wood accordingly if you decide to buy some. Naked Whiz reports they don't burn any hotter than lump.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This was the first bag of charcoal I ever bought, simply because the store where I bought my Egg had it on display. After reading on the Naked Whiz site how much ash it produced, I put off using it for about a year.

I've found it's not that bad. Like the bag says, they're briquets, so after being accustomed to using lump, it kind of threw me to see a bagful of uniform pieces. I've not used it for a long cook, so I can't answer your question regarding that. I can say it seems to burn the same as regular lump, at least from my experience.

My conclusion is it's OK, but I wouldn't buy it again.

char.jpg 154.2K

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I bought a couple of different brands some years ago. Had a bad experience w. one kind. It came as extruded hexagonal rods about 2" long w. a small hole down the center. I'd been mixing it in w. whatever kind of lump I had. Didn't notice anything special. So I made a solid vertical mass of it on the grate, one rod deep. Cooked something direct, nothing special except for it being just one big hot spot. Decided to let the remainder go as a clean burn. The concentrated mass ended up heating the grate so much that it slumped and cracked.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I got a couple of cases last year of the hexagon extruded rods.   They take longer to light than lump and will burn hot a looong time.   I got them for pizza cooks as they seemed to be great at high temp maintenance for longer than most lump fuels

No smoky flavor, i am about out of my supply and unless i see these really cheap locally at hd or lowes, i wont be buying.  Wanted to try them out.  Never used them as heat source for low temp long term cook but i think youd get a lot of mileage out of coconut husk charcoal

I recall it being pricey but amazon prime helped defray shipping costs

If i lived in hawaii id have all the coconut husk i could possibly burn.   But being in az its best for me to use what i have available as an unlimited and free fuel source: mesquite and pecan wood
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That's the Komodo kamado kind right?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I bought some 5 or 6 years ago and used about half of it. Wasn't impressed, especially when considering the price.

Still have a box somewhere in the garage. Should probably dig it out and finish it off.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    That's the Komodo kamado kind right?
    yes it is...ordered from amazon prime