Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making my own Lumps

Options

Shortly after getting my egg I researched on how to make my own lump coal. Found several u-tube videos and sites posted and decided since I had or could get the resources needed I'd give it a try.

The nakedwhiz  site has an article on it. I don't do it like that because I'd have to stand by and feed it firing wood.

I just put the inner barrel upside down inside the burn barrel once it's packed with the wood I'm charring. Then I pack scrape wood around the inter barrel to the top. Now I put the lid on top with my stove pipe once I have that wood burning and come back the next day or so and see what I've cooked.

Making mine out of red and white oak and it's been doing great. Sometimes it does smoke a bit when I first lite the egg up but stops mostly by the time I reach and set my temp I'm shooting for. I still find myself adding uncharred chunks to get smoke. Mostly using peach for that right now because I had some limbs down and dried.

Just curious if others are doing anything like this.

One warning. This will only work if it's a mid 90's day and the humidity is as high as it can get. 

Comments