Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shaking the tree wine butt chicken. ..very good

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my buddy, nature boy, stopped by yesterday with my order of dizzy rubs. . .. you guys can crow about the fast mail service, but I get personal delivery from the MAN himself!! . .. anyway, he includes a stash of the new shaking the tree rub and raising the steaks rub for me to try out.....so for our 4th of july outing with the virginian, i did two traditional beer can chickens with tsunami spin, and two beer can chickens (but with white wine instead of beer)with shaking the tree (i figured the fruity wine would work well with the citrusy rub). . ..and it was DANG GOOD!!!!! . . .[p]those dizzy boys have another keeper!! ... now i gotta go buy a big honkin steak to try out the raising the steaks rub. . . .[p]damn those guys, i need more shelf space ..[p]mad "all spun up" max

Comments

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    I just ordered the sampler pack from Dizzy! I was going to get a full sized bottle of each, but thought I better be frugal and actually try them out before taking the plunge![p]Hey, do you have a link to specific instructions for Beer Can Chicken. I get the concept, but have never seen it actually spelled out.[p]Thanks!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Sounds great, Max. I'm doing some ribeyes Friday night and will try the 'Raising the Steaks' rub.
    BTW, I'll be getting off to you today the edited shots of DC/Waldorf such as they are.......

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    shaking the tree is real good, is chris selling in quantity yet, i used my sample in an apple brandy glaze for tuna steaks, just too good with the tuna steaks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I grilled up a batch of wings last night using a good rubbing of Shaking the Tree Seasoning. I smoked with pecan wood and at the finish warmed up some of my lemon-tomato jam and glazed the wings for a sweet-n-spicy, lip smacking, finger licking, Fourth of July treat.
    Yeah, Dizzy does it again! Shaking the Tree is now my favorite seasoning for chicken. Your wine butt chicken kicks it up a notch, you could write a cookbook with all the creative cooking you do!
    Clay

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]You're making me hungry already (8:53 am)! We are big fans of the raising the steaks rub. We made some brisket burgers over the weekend and mixed some rub into the meat. Results were outstanding.[p]Now, need to play more with the shaking the tree rub!![p]Take care and send regards to "Spawn"[p]Smokey[p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    i do em this way....[p]1. set up egg indirect with grid over inverted plate setter at about 325 - 350 degrees dome temp[p]2. take an empty beer or soda can and cut off the top (this does two things, 1. makes it easier to add stuff to the liquid and 2. makes it easier to 'pinch' the top of the can for insertion in the chicken[p]3. fill can about halfway with beer or other liquid (wine, leftover marinade, etc). ..i also like to throw a teaspoon full of the rub i used on the bird into the liquid. ..[p]4. rub chicken with rub of choice, and then insert can in chicken so that the chicken will stand up by itself using the drumsticks to form a tri-pod. ..[p]5. .place chicken on grid. ...at 325 - 350 dome temp, a standard 4 - 5 pound bird will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to be done. ..[p]6. for crispier skin, rub olive oil or butter, over the bird prior to adding rub, and when the chicken is about fully cook, open your vents and let the temps run up to about 425 to crisp up the skin. ...[p]HTH

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    egret,
    thanks john, look forward to seeing them. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i was thinking that it would be great on tuna or mahi-mahi. ..now i'm gonna have to give it a try ....thx[p]btw. . .how about a recipe for the apple brandy glaze??

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ClayQ,
    thanks. ..i'll bet it is good on wings. ..i'm thinking it will also be great on scallops and shrimp. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokey,
    i have GOT TO TRY those brisket burgers!! .. .ok, maybe tonight or tomorrow. .. .[p]thx and i'll pass on your hello to sydney. ...

• BunkyRub
    BunkyRub Posts: 52
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,I can certainly agree with you on DP's new rubs. I had the steak seasoning a few weeks ago on a filet and then yesterday on some burgers. Also tried the chicken rub awhile back with great results as well. Chris just keeps exceeding our expectations!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    ill have to look tonight for the recipe quantities. i think i modified a recipe from Caprial's Bistro Style Cuisine, but it was real good

[ul][li]tuna and shrimp[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it