Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Grease on Pavers

Options
Made the mistake of not using a BBQ mat around my Egg and there are some grease stains on my interlock pavers. I have been doing some reading only and people recommend using kitty litter, products like brake cleaner and other cleaning products. I was wondering if anyone had any luck doing this and which products they used or could recommend?

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    pour-and-restore is supposed to be good.

frankly, looks like degreaser in a baking soda slurry.

i'm going to be trying this on some oil stains in the driveway
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    I'd try using some Dawn. I made a paste using oxyclean and it took wine out of a Sheetrock wall. That might work for you as well. 
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    I'd try using some Dawn. I made a paste using oxyclean and it took wine out of a Sheetrock wall. That might work for you as well. 
    I may give Dawn a try...
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Good luck getting stains out of any mortal surface...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i made skunk remover for the dog once, then used it in the yard adding vinegar, pretty impressive stuff. 1 quart 3 percent fresh hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, couple tbls liquid dish soap, spread it on object to be cleaned, add vinegar. this stuff lifts grease. yard smelt like a salad for a week, much better than skunk =) dont know how it would work on bbq grease, spilled goose grease once on a deck, bet its still there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Flip the paver over.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good advice - I want to hear more about how the wine ended up on the wall......

Depends on the type of brick how the "cure" will work. Kitty litter or sawdust will pull the excess or surface oil out, but will not get into the brick's pores. Tried a gegreaser (automotive) worked too well, it took the oil stain out but also took the bricks up a shade or two. Dawn worked the best. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Wine on a sheet rock wall....... Never mind, not going to ask. :o
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I threw a Good Friday party years ago that turned into a Great Friday party.  B)
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Good advice - I want to hear more about how the wine ended up on the wall......

Depends on the type of brick how the "cure" will work. Kitty litter or sawdust will pull the excess or surface oil out, but will not get into the brick's pores. Tried a gegreaser (automotive) worked too well, it took the oil stain out but also took the bricks up a shade or two. Dawn worked the best. 
    I'll give the Dawn a go going to put some on wet it up a bit and then scrub and let it sit for a bit. I'll keep you all posted thanks for the suggestion!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I threw a Good Friday party years ago that turned into a Great Friday party.  B)
    There are things that will leave a mark, and things that leave scars. This must have been one that will forever be known as the tattoo under the shirt.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

If you catch it right away I use gasoline on my driveway of there is any oil or grease spilled. If it sits on the driveway for a period, the gas becomes less effective.

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I used a driveway oil spill product with good results. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the product exactly but it was designed for automotive fluids but worked great on food grease.  Sprayed it on and let it sit. Washed off with the hose. Still slight discoloration but way better than what it was. Some areas the stain is completely gone.
    Parker, Colorado
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Trisodium phosphate or "TSP"
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Muriatic acid, available at any hardware store. Be careful, the stuff is not to be handled without skin/eye protection.

If you're not willing to deal with chemicals, try sweating the grease out with a torch. Blot it up as it comes out, don't wipe.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@DoubleEgger   wine stain on the wall... isn't that typically followed by flowers and a diamond tennis bracelet?  

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    blasting said:

@DoubleEgger   wine stain on the wall... isn't that typically followed by flowers and a diamond tennis bracelet?  

It's more like stumbling drunk women...
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    Turn the stone over

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography