Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Dish tonight

Cooked for myself tonight.  Pics not the best and please disregard the SpongeBob plate!
XL BGE

Comments

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Oh baby that looks good!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Love the pie and the plate!  Don't be afraid to be who you is!!!!  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Please tell me - how?
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Here is how I do it.  

Dough:  3/4 cup warm water.  Dissolve 1/4 tsp salt and sugar.  Then add 1/2 tsp yeast and 4 tbs of corn oil.  Add some of the four to the liquid and mix to a thick paste.  Then add the rest of flour and mix.  Cover in Saran Wrap and let rise 1-2 hours in warm place.

Preheat egg to 450 with plate setter. Grease cast iron skillet with corn oil.  Press dough into skillet and up the sides.  

I I then line the bottom of the dough with slices of mozzarella and provolone.  Then spread out on top of the cheese raw Italian sausage.  I then follow that with pepperoni, and whatever else you like (onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc....) I like the end product better if I sauté the veggies in a little olive oil and butter, a little garlic, salt, pepper, etc...

Then top with sauce.  I just use a big can of crushed tomatoes.  Usually add basil, garlic, just a touch of sugar and then some Italian seasoning to the Tomatos for the sauce.

Sprinkle top with Ramano cheese and bake 35 minutes or so.

Maybe sounds like a lot but it isn't.  Aside from the wait time for the dough rise,  probably takes 10 minutes to throw it together.

XL BGE
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    @SPRIGS: You left out the amount of flour and size of the CI skillet. Would you please add them?
    Judy in San Diego
  • SPRIGS
    edited June 2016
    2 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour.  I think my skillet is 12".  It is the typical sized lodge skillet.
    XL BGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Looking great.  Nothing to not proud of there.  I haven't done one in a while, the wife is not a big fan of deep dish, me I haven't met a pizza I didn't like.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    I haven't cook any pizzas on the egg yet but what you did looks delicious!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    @SPRIGS: Thanks for the ingredients. I got rid of my 12" CI skillet--too heavy for my hands--but I have a 10" and that will do just fine.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Buckeye79
    Buckeye79 Posts: 46
    That looks incredible!
  • Oh wow... I may have to try this soon!
    Low Country EggHead
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks outstanding!  It has been too long since I made one of these.  Thanks for sharing all of the details.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Beautiful pie.  Bookmarked.  Thanks for the recipe.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Last time we made a pizza the wife asked about a deep dish version...
  • VERY nice.   That crust looks perfect.   For the sausage, did you form a solid layer or just form a web of sausage balls placed close together?   I did the solid layer once on a very similar pizza and it was a weird texture for me.   Haven't done another since but now that I've seen yours I plan to.   
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • SPRIGS
    On this one I did a solid layer because the wife wasn't eating (she is not a fan of sausage).  Traditionally I think it is just dabs of sausage over the cheese but I like what I like!!  
    XL BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @SPRIGS: Thanks for the ingredients. I got rid of my 12" CI skillet--too heavy for my hands--but I have a 10" and that will do just fine.
    @Judy Mayberry, that dough recipe is from realdeepdish.com and is for a 12" pan. Here's the link to the recipe and if you scroll down, he gives ingredient quantities for multiple size pans. Poke around the site, tons of good info. This is the one I posted about ages ago with the video on making the dough in 4 minutes. Finished pie in under two hours. Remember? :) I do mine in a 9" steel cake pan. Weighs nothing.

http://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail.pdf

@SPRIGS, nice looking pie!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    That looks good to me.  I just ate and it made me hungry.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    Very nice.   Makes me hungry too.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Normally I'm a thin crust kind of a girl, but I clicked the pic and did an audible gasp!  Looks so yummy.  Showed my husband, and he said he's game.  :-) 

I think we'll be trying this soon.  Thanks for sharing!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Love the looks of that pizza!!  And that's a super cool plate too.  ;)