Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different weight pork shoulders cooking in same time . .

Options
MCG DAWG
MCG DAWG Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday about 6pm put on 4 pork shoulders on my large BGE. Two 5-5.5lb'ers and two 7-7.5lb'ers. Expected the smaller ones to be done at least 2-3 hours before the large ones. Had the guru keeping us locked in at 240 all night.[p]Well, this morning about 8 o'clock the Maverick alarm sounds to let me know we've reached 195 on the smaller butts. I remove them, wrap in foil, and put 'em in a cooler to provide lunch to my staff today. I replaced the probe in the larger cuts and went in to grab a shower, didn't even check to see where my temp was at. Not 20 minutes later my alarm is going off again telling me these two butts are done. I placed the probe all over them and the fat cap side was at 197-198 and the other side was at 190-191 in a couple of places but over 195 everywhere else. I didn't want to leave them on any longer as I was going to be gone for until lunch when I'm going to run home and put some ribs on. I just wrapped 'em up in foil and put 'em in the oven at 185 to keep warm till I take them to a party at 5pm today. [p]Can I expect them to continue to "cook" at 185 or should that just maintain the current temp on them? Probably going to take them out at lunch and place in a cooler with some towels. [p]Anyway, seemed strange that these cuts differed in weight by 2lbs could finish at almost he same time. In interest of science I had small portions of each butt for breakfast. I can attest that they were definitely edible.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    MCG DAWG,[p]Not uncommon at all on the different sizes of shoulders. The meat is done when the meat is done. Each one is different. May have been the way they were stacked in the egg, more heat got to them, who knows. Its a temperature thing more than it is a time thing.[p]The pork in the oven now should be OK, keeping it warm for about 9-10 hours will be OK. Not sure if I would have put them in the oven at 185 but if you are coming home in a few hours and putting them in a cooler you'll be fine. For that temp myself I would be real tempted to blast them cold then reheat but I've done it both ways and its OK.[p]Bottom line is that the meat should be fine and you should have some happy guests.[p]Troy