Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help ribeye fail

Options
TGIF everybody
ok my last two ribeye cooks have been embarrassing. My 13 year old son and my wife of 20 years made some negative comments which is extremely rare (no pun intended).
first cook was reverse sear which once the fat rendered onto the plate setter it became a caveman cook and steaks were overlooked.
second cook was traditional method direct to 125 internal but the steak was on the tough side.
both cooks were ribeyes purchased at Publix, around 2.5 lbs bone in.
any help for tomorrow's attempt would be greatly appreciated.
thanks 
shane

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    What are you using to measure the internal temperature? Trust it? Have you tested it? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    If you cooked ribeyes to 125 and they were tough, you got some bad meat. 

I have my steaks cut to 1 1/2", so I reverse sear them. Anything thinner than that should go direct IMO. 

Use a a drip pan on top of plate setter with a spacer, to catch drippings so they dont burn off. You can use three wads of aluminum foil for spacer, about 1" diameter
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    The regular publix choice rib eyes are usually pretty lean at my store. I have  to get green wise angus or prime to get decent marbling.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    If you look up Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbeque or BBQ25, he has a very good approach to rib-eyes, your family will love them!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    jabam said:
    ... Use a a drip pan on top of plate setter with a spacer, to catch drippings so they dont burn off. You can use three wads of aluminum foil for spacer, about 1" diameter
    do you but any water in the pan or just let the pan catch the drippings.  I had an issue that the drippings burned and left a smoky taste that I did not like.  But... I had the drip pan directly on the PS.  Thanks for any advise...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    spacer should prevent that
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited June 2016
    Options
    excuse me, but I never grill steaks indirect. Using a PS plus a water filled drip pan just isn't going to get you good results. Or perhaps you misunderstood the reverse sear method. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jabam
    Options
    I don't put water in drip pan. You just need to put spacers between PS and drip pan
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jabam
    Options
    @RRP I go indirect at about 300, until IT of 100 and then bump up temp to above 500 and grill 1 min each side, keep flipping until IT of 130. Family loves them!
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Love the advice I'll send pics tonight when I'm done have a great day!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Reverse sear has been my go to. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Yeah, what they said.  But, first things first...buy your beef somewhere other than Publix.  I don't know why they can't seem to get good beef.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree with others that a good steak starts with the meat.  I have used identical process and had some turn out great and others are "meh".  Look for a steak with decent marbling.  

As a reference here is a pic of prime grade rib eye.  Now, you probably are not going to see something that looks this good at Publix but try to find something that has some specs/veins of fat running through the meat.  If there is just one section of the hard fat and the rest of the meat is just solid red then it won't probably won't be good.  I try not to limit myself to one particular cut.  If the rib-eyes don't look good that day I will check out other cuts.  If nothing looks good I go to a different store. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    I feel very fortunate with the publix by our house. It is new and advertised as the largest in Orlando. They have a custom meat case and a full staff of great butchers. They always have prime ribeyes, NY strips, and tenderloin, as well as a full selection of green wise cuts which are hormone and antibiotic free angus beef. Regular grade publix choice is not angus. They also have a very good selection of organic produce. It's a great place to shop and was recently featured in Fortune 500 magazine.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.