Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt done earlier than expected

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just took off a 7 lb. butt. It is about 5 hours earlier than I wanted. I have it wrapped in foil and a towel. Is it ok to leave like this for 5 hours?

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Kelvin Brents,
    You can either put it in a dry ice chest and cover with towels or crumpled-up newspaper, or put in in your oven set at a very low setting (mine can hold at 170 degrees). 5 hours is a stretch, though, since you didn't do this immediately.

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Kelvin Brents,
    I did some butts on the open pit this past Thursday. They were not big ones, 5 to 8 pounds, but they came off at 200 internal after 8 hours. I wrapped them in foil, put them in a small cooler and placed towels over them. This was at 3:00 am. I pulled the pork at 2:00 pm the next day and they were still warm. [p]
    Chef Jerry

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Kelvin Brents,
    I have a little different take. It is my considered opinion that you will be just fine. But just like Kelven said put it in a empty cool to help.
    Elder Ward

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Kelvin Brents,
    recently had 6 8lb butts hit 200 in 9 hrs. was expecting 16 to 20 hrs. wrapped in fpil and chilled till about 4 hrs befor serving. put in oven wrapped in foil till int hit 200 again. about 3 hrs on 350 convection.
    best pulled ive done.

• Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    Options
    jwitheld,
    So you put the butts in the fridge whole, without pulling them? I've got some on now that will be done tomorrow afternoon but won't be consumed until the 4th. I was planning on pulling them, then putting them in the fridge and heating them up in foil for a couple of hours on Tuesday. Based on your experience, though, I may wait to pull them until after reheating. Have you (or anyone else) done it both ways and found one way works better?[p]
    For the record, in honor of Elder Ward's return to the board, I actually sorted my charcoal for this cook. I'd forgotten how satisfying it can be to have perfectly loaded charcoal! Thanks.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    You just too cute. B^)) Thank you very much I'll be here all week.
    EW