Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg in the garage?

Has anyone ever left their Egg in the garage (with a window open or the garage door open a little)?  I have an overnight cook planned and were supposed to get done thunderstorms tonight. I'd rather not have the FB out in the storm. Thanks!

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Hell no. 

IMHO. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited May 2016
    No!!!!
    Though Chris Capell's Egg was sitting just at the edge of his garage door... most would say he is was a very experienced Egger and damn near burned his entire house down several years back!!!
    I imagine if you asked him you could guess his answer??

Don't do it...
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Good god no. Put your flame boss control unit in a ziplock bag. The fan will be fine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Absolutely and unequivocally no!.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Place the control unit in a cake pan on an egg mate shelf or a table and cover it with, well, anything that's larger than the cake pan. Like this...

Tent the fan with foil.

But PLEASE don't cook in your garage!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    $300 flame boss - $300,000.00 house with human lives in it

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Chubby
    You know Deke 1997...for once... there's a topic that brought unusual.. unequivocall... bipartisan consensus to this Venue...!!

You are to be congratulated Sir...lol!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Deek1997
    Deek1997 Posts: 46
    And know I feel like an idiot for even asking!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Deek1997 said:
    You shouldn't - it's always a good reminder to us all.  Good luck on your cook.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Chubby
    edited May 2016
    No sweat. That's what these forms are for Deek!!!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    All good. You aren't the first or last to ask. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    You didn't say, but I assume it's an attached garage?
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Now's the time to run an overnight nekked cook with the BGE enjoying the elements. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Deek1997
    You didn't say, but I assume it's an attached garage?
    Yes.
  • Carolina Q
    Chubby said:
    You know Deke 1997...for once... there's a topic that brought unusual.. unequivocall... bipartisan consensus to this Venue...!!

Hope he doesn't ask about lump!! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I say yes. Just so that it's not unanimous,  but don't. Really. Dont. Please. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Chubby said:

Rockwood is my favorite...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Deek1997
    I put a pop up tent on my deck. First brisket cook and also first cook with Rockwood. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Deek1997 said:
    I put a pop up tent on my deck. First brisket cook and also first cook with Rockwood. 
    Not really being a smart ass - OK? Are you afraid you are going to melt? Don't you have a hat and rain coat if rain bothers you? Rain won't bother your BGE even in a downpour! Trouble is with a pop up on your deck if you leave it overnight your egg MIGHT belch, send up a fire ball which can start that tent burning! Think I'm being silly? I don't care but I'd rather know my family and I are safe rather than I didn't want to get wet. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Deek1997 said:
    No way, glad you asked!  Much better to ask than do something that dangerous. 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    RRP said:
    Deek1997 said:
    Not really being a smart ass - OK? Are you afraid you are going to melt? Don't you have a hat and rain coat if rain bothers you? Rain won't bother your BGE even in a downpour! Trouble is with a pop up on your deck if you leave it overnight your egg MIGHT belch, send up a fire ball which can start that tent burning! Think I'm being silly? I don't care but I'd rather know my family and I are safe rather than I didn't want to get wet. 
    Ron, he was trying to avoid getting his Flame Boss (FB in question above) wet/damaged.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Carolina Q
    Deek1997 said:
    Not a real good idea. Just cover the electronics as mentioned earlier if that's your concern. The egg will be fine. Eggs have been known to do this...

Or worse...

And, BTW, cooking on a deck isn't real safe either, especially if the deck is attached to your house.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    nolan8v said:

Ron, he was trying to avoid getting his Flame Boss (FB in question above) wet/damaged.
    I hear you, but ideas have already been sent on how to protect it. Personally I go on the cheap when I'm using my BBG Guru by using foil on the blower and a plastic baggie with bread twisty. He doesn't need more that that and a pop up without a tie down becomes a kite in the wind. TRUST me on that one too.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Deek1997 said:
    There is nothing wrong with having an egg in the garage. Just don't light it. Seriously, I get the temptation.......mother nature doesn't get it some days ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Deek1997
    So where do you guys use your egg?? Carolina Q, that happens with a cap on?On low temp or high temp cooks? I've had mine about a year and have never had that happen, so just wondering the circumstances. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    XC242 said:
    Chubby said:

Rockwood is my favorite...
    ya but it's double the price of M*k**'s RO, sorry can't resist  =)
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2016
    My egg sits on a paver covered patio. I had it on a deck originally until I realized what a bad idea that was.

Both of those pics appear to have no DFMT. The blue one was one of @Fishlessman 's 1200° cooks (I think that was the temp). You are not likely to get there. Point is, weird things can happen with fire and putting a pop up over it is maybe not the best idea. Mine sits out in the open, electronics, when used, sheltered as described. My egg is almost 7 years old and has never been covered. If I ever do put a roof over it, it will surely not be made of pop up material.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I consider myself somewhat cautious and I would not be worried about a fire, explosion or my open-air, overhead tent melting (as long as there is enough clearance) as a result of fire shooting out the top on a low and slow overnighter. My bigger concern would be wind or something like that compromising the tent. Even with a tent, I would go overboard protecting the controller.
    Stillwater, MN