Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remote Therometer Recommedation?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
My remote thermometer died, anyone have a strong recommendation for a good unit?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have had the Maverick 732 for about 5 years, has been dependable for me.  I don't use it as much now that I have the wifi guru, but when I pull it out, it works great!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Looks like you need to supply more info to get a response.  How many probes are you looking for? Is the grill close enough to the couch for bluetooth to reach?  What price range are you thinking about.

Sitting close? - We have two Thermoworks Chef Alarms ... nice loud alarm with a variable loudness setting

Close enough for bluetooth? - The iGrill gets lots of good reviews

A little further out? - My Mavericks (732 & 733) work well

Wifi distance? - a) the Tappecue is an interesting instrument ... expensive enough that only a few members have one, but they give good reviews  b) don't overlook the option of using a wifi controller (Flameboss, Stoker, etc) simply as a remote thermometer.

I think all other providers would go belly up if Flameboss or Thermoworks would come out with a Tappecue-like instrument in the 100~150 dollar range.  Both companies produce great products and their service support is fantastic ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    I have the iGrill2 and like it.  Only have had it 2 months and used it 4x though.  Eventually I want a flameboss.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Thermoworks Chefs Alarm is my choice. had a couple of others that worked for a little while then died. The Chefs Alarm has been very reliable for me.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hey Mark. If you are considering a controller and want play around with one you can have my cyber q for a few weeks to see if you like it. They are pretty neat. Just let me know and I'll meet you somewhere. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh yeah. Do not get the maverick et733. It's horrible. The 732 is good though. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker may take you up on that sometime. So many toys on my wish list...
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker may take you up on that sometime. So many toys on my wish list...
    Just let me know.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've got the Mav 732 and it's on right now with the brisket, I think it's decent for the money.  Never had any range issues with it.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker ...  Why do you rate the 733 below the 732?

I'd rate either the 733 or the 732 above the 735 (bluetooth) for range.  But, the 732 sets the benchmark for stupid when it comes to the setup process.  Miss your alarm temp during setup and you have to stand there like an idiot waiting for the numbers to run to the top, jump to the bottom, and finally come around again.  The 733 allows you to back up.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker ...  Why do you rate the 733 below the 732?

I'd rate either the 733 or the 732 above the 735 (bluetooth) for range.  But, the 732 sets the benchmark for stupid when it comes to the setup process.  Miss your alarm temp during setup and you have to stand there like an idiot waiting for the numbers to run to the top, jump to the bottom, and finally come around again.  The 733 allows you to back up.
    With the 733 you have to choose your meat which the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Who cares if I'm cooking beef or chicken, I only want to see the temp. It adds a bunch of complexity to a very simple process. The setup is super unintuitive too. I have to relearn it every time I use it. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Does anyone offer better probes for the Mavericks? I get a few cooks out of the probes and they fail.  Last time u bought a new 732 to get new probes in a pinch.

Garnerville, NY
  • Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    I've got a maverick 733 and love it. Never had anything to compare it to. Had no issues with it. 
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I too own the Maverick et733 and love it. I've had it about a year, no issues 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Kurrgo
    Kurrgo Posts: 23
    Options
    egger ave said:
    Thermoworks Chefs Alarm is my choice. had a couple of others that worked for a little while then died. The Chefs Alarm has been very reliable for me.
    Can you measure temp next to the meat and on the grill?  I've heard domes can vary from temp near the meat.