Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken pizza stones?

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
Been spending some time on the Ceramic Grill Stores site, figuring out what may work for us. Noticed he mentioned Pampered Chef stones not holding up in Eggs. Anybody here ever had one bust? Wife has one that has seen limited use in the Eggs, so far so good...

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    http://www.axner.com/cordierite-kiln-shelves.aspx

Just as an option. Nothing against CGS--just more sizes available.

If she likes her pampered chef stone and you don't prefer sleeping on the couch---I would click something quickly.  
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I am not a BGE fanboy generally (yes I own an egg and yes I love it and yes I am on a BGE message board) but I love their stone and if I were in the market again, that is what iw ould buy. My pampered chef stone warped shortly after I got my egg. I bought the egg one and it is awesome. I have not found a thicker stone (but haven't looked in 2-3 years). I once even dropped it from about 12-18" off the ground and it did not break. I only use my pampered chef inside now. It still has not broken but is still warped. I use it often, I'm surprised it has not broken by now.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    My wife PC stone lasted about 3 cooks before it cracked. My BGE pizza stone has lasted through everything including an unintentional clean burn that wrapped the thermo around to about 300 after doing a full rotation. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    gmac said:
    My wife PC stone lasted about 3 cooks before it cracked. My BGE pizza stone has lasted through everything including an unintentional clean burn that wrapped the thermo around to about 300 after doing a full rotation. 
    I guess that is what they mean by "nuclear?"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Way back in the early days, we had a PC stone. This was long before I had even heard of an egg. It was never used in a grill and it lasted a little while, but It broke in two in the oven. Read MANY reports on here of PC stones breaking when used in the egg.

My BGE stone has been to 900° several times. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kanga
    Kanga Posts: 15
    Options

http://www.bakingsteel.com/shop/cq2n6tbhnx8rqgvyu690qm356agh0a

Here is a great alternative.  The baking steel was derived with help from the guys at modernist cuisine.  Makes a great pizza and they just started making them round.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The Pampered Chef pizza stone is made of stoneware.  Pampered Chef says that its "Stoneware is heat-resistant to 450°F".  If you cook pizza above this it is outside of the maximum temp that the company says to use.

Both the BGE and CGS stones are made of cordierite (as are others).  Cordierite will take high temps just fine.  If you have a good pottery supply store near you, you can get a kiln shelf.  Cordierite pizza stones and kiln shelves are the same thing.  Kiln shelves sell for less than an equivalent pizza stone. While you are at the pottery supply store you could also get some kiln shelf posts to use as spacers in the egg.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Yep had one , didn't just crack , more like blew up !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I have used our Pampered Chef stone for 4 years now with no problems.  I generally cook my pizza high in the dome at 550-600.  So far no problems.  I was going to rush right out and buy a better stone as I have read so many guys have had problems with them but figured I would try it and use it until it broke. So far, so good.  I also have an Adjustable rig and Woo 2 combo from CGS.  I have used the platesetter for the indirect stone and then just used the stone from CGS for the pizza stone.  It worked great but takes considerably longer to heat up than the thinner Pampered Chef stone.  
    XL BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I've had a Pampered Chef pizza stone blow in the past. Made me buy a real one. =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Question on term "heat resistant" ... @nolaegghead doesn't that imply it will not get hot when subject to heat?  I would think "heat safe" or some such term would be more appropriate.   @Darby_Crenshaw ?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
      I have used the platesetter for the indirect stone and then just used the stone from CGS for the pizza stone.  It worked great but takes considerably longer to heat up than the thinner Pampered Chef stone.  
    It takes longer to heat up because it is storing more heat in the stone than the PC stone.  This is a good thing. The point of a pizza stone is to have lots of heat available to transfer to the dough by conduction.  Thin stones don't store as much heat as thick ones.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    got a $20.00 pizza stone a couple years ago at world market. 500F dozens of cooks, no issues, thus far.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky