Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injected Turkey

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
C'mon guys und gals!! I left a message yesterday, and "no one" responded. Putting a 17lb. turkey on the Large Egg, already marinating in some Cajun Injected Sauce. Love your recommendations on times/temps. Will use some maple,pecan, and apple wood combined to smoke things along.
Who wants my PUERCO ADOBO recipe for their next most-killer pork tenderloin? Help me help you.
Stevmurtha@aol.com

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    BIGMURTH,[p]Everybody must be doing their last minute Xmas shopping. Cook the bird indirect at 350* dome with the breast up. Figure about 15 minutes per pound while you shoot for internal temps of 180 thigh and 165 breast. You may want to kick up the temp when getting close to above to crisp up the skin.[p]Apple and pecan sound good. I'm not so sure about maple but that's JMHO. Go easy on the chips since Tom will soak up smoke like a sponge.[p]Also check the archives for the week prior to Thanksgiving for lots of turkey discussion.[p]Good luck,[p]K~G
    always ready for a pork tenderloin recipe.....

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    BIGMURTH,[p]I think KennyG's recommendations are right on. And go for the crispy skin. it really kamed the bird that much better![p]Smokey

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    BIGMURTH,[p]KennyG's advise is right on. Here's the link to turkey recipe that was used at Eggtoberfest 2000. The Cajun marinade will certainly provide a great tast to the bird so you may just want to read the "The Cook" section of the recipe.[p]Good luck and enjoy,
    Puj

[ul][li]PDK Bird[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    BIGMURTH,
    Sorry for not responding yesterday. I do not think that many here inject their birds, but I do. Most here will tell you to brine. One important thing to remember is to rub the skin with olive oil to help it brown nicely. As far as smoking wood goes, I would stick with just Pecan. The apple, pecan and maple mix sounds good also. Each is great in its own right. I was just impressed with what Pecan did for a turkey.[p]I did an injected turkey breast a couple of weeks ago. I have added a link to the post. Also, I posted a story for the turkey potpie that was made with the leftovers. That can be egged as well.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Just Flat Out Wow[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    I almost forgot the most important part is to protect those pan drippings. They are the basis for some of the best gravy you can make.[p]R&J

• RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm in the 3rd hour of a 17lb. bird, that's been cruising at about 325 on a mix of pecan and a little maple. Injected w/some Cajun injector we bought in New Orleans five years ago, and figured this is a good time to get it off the shelf, otherwise I would have made my own. Like you, did the olio d' oliva rub a dub-dub, and so far so good. This is the 3rd time I've cooked on my Egg, and don't have a Polder yet, but have one of those cool pen-style instant temp checkers. Wish me luck. I promise to get back to you on my Puerco Adobo, but as usual, am surrounded by demanding women (wife, daughters ,and the Springer Spaniel ****, Missy)--Good luck on your wine-making, I used to be a home brewer, and will be again sometime, I'm sure. The Egg cult is even more intense than the networking that went on when I was brewing 6-7 years ago. A good thing, bro. Merry Christmas, and gracias, amigo!!