Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT : Interesting Answers to Irritating Questions

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
If there is a speed of light; and there is a speed of sound.....is there a speed of smell ?

I think as BBQ enthusiasts we should consider this question seriously.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Always amazed at how quickly I'm reminded of the asparagus I ate for dinner. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    It's pretty fast at my house if I eat cauliflower.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Roasted garlic for the win... BTW-wanna get the true speed of smell...rip one in a spa and then catch it when the bubble breaks the surface.  The concentrated essence is a thing to experience...  TMI right here  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Sounds like a question tailor made for @nolaegghead. He's the smartest dude on the Forum. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Since smell occurs when odorant molecules bind with olfactory receptors it depends on several factors, including but not limited to, the speed of air currents, the air temp, and how volatile the odorant molecules are.

So it depends.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Similar to the flight speed of the African swallow. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Acn said:
    Since smell occurs when odorant molecules bind with olfactory receptors it depends on several factors, including but not limited to, the speed of air currents, the air temp, and how volatile the odorant molecules are.

So it depends.

You are what I would call "fart smart"

Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Laiden or un-laiden?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Just ask my bride, she'll tell you it's faster than $hit.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    Laiden or un-laiden?
    Laiden, with bourbon slushies. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great question, mystery of the universe kinda thing. I know that if I take the plastic wrap off a cucumber, the dog does not even twitch, take the same plastic wrap off a piece of cheese and if you turn around fast you will fall over her.... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Dog farts travel pretty fast. 
    And often have a ton of hang time...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    Sounds like a question tailor made for @nolaegghead. He's the smartest dude on the Forum. 
    Not sure about that ..... if you can't dazzle them with brilliance,  baffle them with bullsh!t.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I was really thinking more on the line of Egg smoke through the neighborhood.....I see where your minds are !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    I was really thinking more on the line of Egg smoke through the neighborhood.....I see where your minds are !!
    You really have to lead this bunch right where you want them. 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    The travel distance/speed is dependent on many factors- such as letting one with the heated seats on high. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    It depends on how often you feed said neighbor. Once they figure out what comes off the smoking, green object, the response will be fast.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Dog farts travel pretty fast. 

yes but they are directional, on one end of the couch nothing, but look out on the other side