Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib decision

Options
GWW
GWW Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright, I need to make my cooking decision. Low and slow or fast and furious. I have a 11.5lb 4 rib roast, thinking of throwing it on around 12 noon for a 7:30pm dinner. With dome temp at 250, and if I have to speed it up at the end. So what do you EggSperts think?[p]Greg

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    gww,[p]I'll be doing one just about the same size. Already a fine and tender cut of meat, I don't see any benefit from low and slow cooking. I plan to start at 450* for the first 20 minutes or so and then throttle down to 350* for the balance of the cook. Usually takes about 15 minutes a pound and will be pulled at 120* internal and rested for a bit while the internal temp will climb to 130* or so.[p]I've only done a couple of these, but the results were great both times. Hopefully, others will chime in.[p]K~G

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    KennyG,
    I'm pretty much with you. I've done about 4 of these so far and am doing my next on Tuesday. I pretty much stick in the 350 range. Rub it furiously with pepper, spray with olive oil, stick it on a rack over pan and let her go until the polder says VERY rare. It is good beyond good.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    gww,[p] I have done a few roasts at different temps, the last was at 225F. I would suggest a higher temp of 350F, which should put you on 140F ( Med ) internial meat temp, at about 4:3pm.
    This is just a guilde line & not exact timing. I feel if you
    listen to all the ideas & then just average them out, you should be close to the money. If your alittle off the mark, then just crank up the heat for a short time. Will you you go with a drip pan & heat deflector or not? [p]Earl

• GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Options
    Earl,[p]I have not set up any heat deflector or multi level racks in the egg yet, so thinking of just using the inverted V rack set in a drip pan. I think Kenny G, and molly are right and I'm gonna go the 350 route, I'm sure it's gonna be great either way...and if not...well just gonna drink a little more wine![p]cheers!