Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken

Options
Gave tandoori chicken a shot tonight.  It was kind of a makeshift recipe from serious eats, but I had a whole chicken so I figured I'd give it a shot.  Only one pic today since I only had one pair of hands while the wife was at work.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    @caliking and @bosco0633 have tandoori figured out!  Check out their threads.

How was yours?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks good!

I checked the Serious Eats recipe - how long did you marinate the bird? I prefer max 4 hrs in a yogurt based marinade. Any longer and the chicken breaks down too much. 

@Dave_Matthews also ran some diligent experiments in the past, but I have not seen him post much lately. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac I think it was pretty good, but not entirely authentic.

@caliking I went about 4 hours.  I don't feel like the chicken broke down, more that it was missing a little of that authentic flavor.  I think part of it is because the serious eats recipes doesn't have Garam masala in it.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    anyone have a Chicken Boti marinade?  One of the tastiest pieces of chicken...ever.
  • caliking
    Options
    @westernbbq - Boti means piece or chunk , so it refers to the meat being grilled in chunks , rather than the marinade itself. 

Where did you eat it? Knowing that sometimes helps in figuring out what the flavours were. 

• westernbbq
    Options
    A middle eastern restaurant in phoenix called khyber halal.   best chicken i ever had.   I am addicted to the stuff.   It is slightly spicy, skewered and pink under the surface.    I probably eat lunch there two, three time a week.   It is the best.  
  • caliking
    Options
    Sounds like a northwestern Pakistani place since it's named Khyber something. Afghan and Pakistani places are often named after the Khyber Pass. 

But it now I want some of that chicken!
    A middle eastern restaurant in phoenix called khyber halal.   best chicken i ever had.   I am addicted to the stuff.   It is slightly spicy, skewered and pink under the surface.    I probably eat lunch there two, three time a week.   It is the best.  

• westernbbq
    Options
    Im not up on my middle eastern terminology,  the boss's family is middle eastern and 25 yrs ago i had the best food on the planet at an Easter gathering.   Well this place in phx reminds me of that food.  They have bihari, boti, gyros, several veggie prepared dishes that are out of this world

If you ever go to phx, go out of your way to eat there.   The food is incredible.
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    caliking said:
    That looks good!

I checked the Serious Eats recipe - how long did you marinate the bird? I prefer max 4 hrs in a yogurt based marinade. Any longer and the chicken breaks down too much. 

@Dave_Matthews also ran some diligent experiments in the past, but I have not seen him post much lately. 
    I will try to be more active now that I have retired!  My favorite tandoori mix is still Arora Creations, once I replace my BGE gasket I will try some more high-temp quick tandoori cooks and report with pictures.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I always do overnight with tandoori marinade. My recipe uses lime juice along with the yogurt. I've never had issues with the texture of the chicken.  
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Nice!