Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting Large BGE

Options
Mojobeerman
Mojobeerman Posts: 12
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
I don't post much but does anybody have a "simple" way of transporting their LG BGE? I took mine to a competition last weekend and unloading when I got it home was almost a disaster. I leave it in the nest and use ramps to load and unload. If anyone has a trick I would be very appreciated. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't transport mine but the nest is definitely not the most stable thing for going up and down ramps.  They do make a nest handler which might help. 

Another option would be to just lift it out of the nest and carry it.  If you have 2 people this is another option:
    http://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-200-Pound-Gardening-Heavy-Lifting/dp/B002ECFFJ8

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    MORE INFO. is this in a pick up, trailer, honda civic etc. It depends where the disaster almost happened. Personally I would put it on the front seat and use two people to carry it to the place it needs to be set up. OR, if you are constantly having to haul it 100 yards through the grass, build a cart with good rubber tires (harbor freight).-tie downs. Transport on front seat, and then load it in the cart and go. Eggs are not super transport friendly. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Mojobeerman
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm loading in a cargo van and I'm able to strap it secure. The mishap happened on the ramp when a wheel rolled off. Fortunately we caught it before it fell. 
  • Mojobeerman
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like the idea of the nest handler. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have mine in a table and just load it on a trailer.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Originally posted by JJMills. I made one similar, but used a tie down strap instead of the wood cross member. Made moving the XL a lot easier, not worries of slipping and dropping it. 

• Mojobeerman
    Options
    love the wood idea!  
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @MeatChurch, takes his to completions in a Challenger table like this and straps it down in his travel trailer I believe.  

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'm going camping in Utah next month. I've actually given this quite a bit of thought. I do have a handler, so after taking all internal ceramics out and carefully bubble wrapping them - I am gonna put some sort of soft barrier between both halves of the egg and strap them together vertically.

Then, I will put the egg at the very front of my trailer and cover it with moving blankets and strap that baby in.

I plan on documenting this and posting pictures as when this question is asked (and it's asked often) there will be some sort of reference. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Here's how I do it. 

I just lay a heavy rubber welcome mat between trailer rail and each egg. Strap each egg around top to rail. Remove inside parts and insulate from vibration. So far so good. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Options
    Take all the guts that are on the inside out, it will definitely be lighter then. If you can wrap them in blankets or something while they're being transported. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • Mojobeerman
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. This site is amazing. 
  • Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm loading in a cargo van and I'm able to strap it secure. The mishap happened on the ramp when a wheel rolled off. Fortunately we caught it before it fell. 
    Wait, a wheel came off of your nest? I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it!
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • Mojobeerman
    Options
    Staygold said:
    Wait, a wheel came off of your nest? I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it!
    The wheel rolled off the ramp. Yes my blood pressure rose quite a bit!!
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Would suggest you don't use the nest...and at the least wrap the box and ring with bubble wrap...
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    All you really need is a heat source and some protein....doesn't have to be ceramic ....bricks grate and foil pans works for me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I had an idea for pick up trucks, but it could be adapted for vans.....

Take a couple pieces of tube metal stock and have them welded into a long straight piece with little legs on the ends that can be placed in the holes in the bed of the truck.  Attach to the long piece a small electric winch.  Use that winch to pull the egg into the cargo area and to assist in slowly lowering it out.  You will need to have someone to operate the winch control since they are typically momentary switches.

Adapt it to the van....  just use a single long piece of tube stock thru the front door windows that spans the width of the van; use the door frame and van frame as the stable point to anchor off of....

Just a vision.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Three comments on this:
    1. I have hauled my LBGE in the bed of a pickup (strapped against the cab, padded with cardboard) with all the guts in place with no ill effects. YMMV
    2. The stupidest way I ever loaded it was pushing it with the guts in place in its table up a ramp of shakey 2 x 6s into the truck.  It is a miracle that it didn't (a) topple over and go all Humpty Dumpty, (b) land on me, or (c) cause me to pull every muscle in my back. Did I mention how stupid this was?
    3. The smartest way I ever loaded an LBGE involved telling #3 son ("The Specimen") where I wanted it.  He casually picked up a loaded LBGE by himself, and put it in the back of a Suburban.  Oh, to be 23 again.  Healthy spawn are a real plus.

As a side story from that weekend, a couple of young teens were eyeing the last 2 or 3 pieces of meat on a plate, deciding whether or not they could manage another couple of bites.  The Specimen swooped in and grabbed it all, and ate it, to which @The Cen-Tex Smoker told the kids, "See?!  That's how an apex predator does it". 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have hauled my L several times. I remove the internal ceramics for loading and then put them back in with cardboard in between them. Then I use wood construction shims between the base and fire ring to keep the internals from moving. I have wrapped it in a moving blanket a few times and others I have just strapped it in. One thing about strapping it - remove your dome thermo so you don't bend it with a strap. I don't think I would leave it in the nest unless it was all bolted together with The Handler.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!