Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steaks

Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never heard of 'em. But there they be in the meat section at the local Gerbes/Dillons/Kroger. So I buy one. Not sure how to cook it. Googled the archives but found scant info. So, I made up a quick merinade of Lea & Perrins, soy sauce and a shot of granulated garlic. Set up the Egg for direct and stabilized at 350°. Put the steak on just off the fire for 5 minutes, flipped and over the fire for 5, flipped again still over the fire for another 5. (Shooting for well here) Flipped once more away from the fire and shut it down to dwell while I went inside for a plate and a refill of my boat drink. (Maybe 2 minutes?) Let it rest for 10 and then sliced thin at an angle. Man that thing made for a seriously good sandwich with sauteed onions and mushrooms! Never seen 'em before but I'm heading back to Gerbes after work and stocking up. Wish I'd taken pictures - it was that good...[p]Kelly Keefe
Jefferson City, MO

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Kelly Keefe,
    funny you should mention the flat iron steak, but yesterday when I posed the question here about substituting a tri-tip for a flank steak in my favorite of favorites meal I also emailed Steve Graves a.k.a. Ask-A-Butcher. Steve replied that yes I could and he thought I'd like the tri-tip even better, but also recommended using a flat iron steak as well.
    PS - beautiful 70 degrees here so we're off for our morning walk...what??? You're slaving at work? sorry about that...8^)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Kelly Keefe, it's even cheaper to cut your own, if you can find the Top Chuck Blade Roast at a reasonable price. Follow the link to a pictorial of how to cut them.

[ul][li]Cutting Flat Irons[/ul]
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks! I may just try that. Just hope I don't end up removing the connective tissues in my hand - grin.[p]Kelly