Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The destruction of Cast Iron and all things Unholy - TOFTT

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
It was brought up earlier, that in order to get good & consistent smoke from smoke wood, the smoke wood could be placed in cast iron dutch oven with holes drilled in the bottom.  The oven is then placed directly on the lump, forcing the smoke down into the heat.  The theory is this burns off the bad stuff, giving good smoke as well as efficiently using the smokewood.

Is this solving a problem that doesn't need solving?  Maybe.  But that is what we do here - fine tune things in the quest for perfect Q - right?

Some of you would know that I have a bit of an obsession with Cast Iron.  To me, it is worth far more than the amount I paid for it, and I keep it pristine.  The original poster recommended a 2 quart dutch oven.  Although I have two of those (which I've never used), I decided that in order to fit on all size eggs, I would instead use a 9" skillet.

I was extremely apprehensive about sacrificing a perfectly seasoned skillet and lid, to say the least - I may need therapy.

Here  is the skillet and lid - pre-mutilation

On the lid, I cut off the drip nubs, as well as the loop handle to give maximum head space.  I then cut the handle off the skillet.  It was almost painful.  I cried.

My girlfriends huddled close and comforted each other.

The neighbors gathered together to show their support

Here is the mutilated lid inside and out, as well as the handleless skillet.

And finally, I drilled (3) 1/8" holes in the bottom

I'm going to stick a pork butt on shortly, and hopefully I can report back some favorable results.

To give credit where credit is due.  The first time I heard of this was a post made by @Charcoal_Addict in another thread, and since then, @Focker tried something similar with a smoker box.

Phoenix 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good luck brother!  I hope you find this valiant and emotional experience worth it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice work.  At least it's a Lodge, a worthy sacrifice. Hahaha

The skillet size looks perfect.  My smoker box is much smaller, only holds a couple large handfuls of chips.  I will find a larger vessel to replace out iron huntin'.  Standing by for the report.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's nice that the girls are there for each other in these trying times. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I'm hiding all my iron pans, ovens, grates, until you get over this destructive obsession.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's ridiculous. Waste of a perfectly good piece of CI. At least it was only a Lodge :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    You are crazy and need your head examined. I wouldn't have done that no matter who said it. I don't care if Myron Mixon told me it would work and would be the Bob Marley of eggs. nut job
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Like it was said.. atleast it was a lodge.

I dont think I'd use my seasoned wagners or griswolds, although I'm sure many would chop my head off for putting such things in the fire..

Watching this to see any benefits, etc. As a science geek myself, and always looking for something new, easy, and beneficial, I'm all ears( or eyes..).
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • blasting
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That's ridiculous. 
    Jstroke said:
    You are crazy and need your head examined. 

I'm guessing these are the sorts of things non eggers say about all of us in our quest for perfect food.  

I'll admit, it felt wrong doing it, but there is a lot of buzz out there about this idea.  

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blasting said:
    That's ridiculous. 
    Jstroke said:
    You are crazy and need your head examined. 

I'm guessing these are the sorts of things non eggers have about all of us in our quest for perfect food.  

I'll admit, it felt wrong doing it, but there is a lot of buzz out there about this idea.  

I like it. Anything to get better smoke. BGE sucks when it comes to clean smoke. If it works, I would do it in a second. No crime cutting up a $30 lodge pan to experiment with. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I will say this. If it does work I will follow suit and cut one up this week.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I was reading about this the other day. Sounds interesting to me. I could see it working. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • blasting
    Options
    Ok, butt is on.

In the pic it looks like a lot of smoke wood (apple wood), but this is deceiving, as it's a 9" skillet.  It's actually less than I normally use.

Butt is on, and temp is stable at 225, and there is absolutely zero visible smoke exiting.  I like a lot of smoke flavor, so we'll see.  I have a feeling this is going to be a big win or a total fail.  Will report either way.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @blasting  have you gone crazy? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    awesome.  Whatever you are doing, I'm all for it.
    Options
    You have some really young girlfriends.
    Wouldn't this create wood gas that is being shot down into the coals, creating more flame (from hydrogen) and carbon monoxide due to the lack of oxygen in the egg?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    So I understand this correctly: the burning lump has the capability to "scrub" the smoke of undesirable components that cause "off taste" when the butt is exposed to smoke normally created by the burning lump? Since you're force injecting the smoke down into the inferno, then capturing it in the airflow on the way back up to the chimney, you benefit by surrounding the butt with "scrubbed" smoke?

I don't see how you can keep "un-scrubbed" smoke from leaking out the top, it's not like you have a gasket between the lid and the skillet.

If it's a "thing" that passing smoke through the lump somehow "purifies" it, then why not take the bowl out, put your handle-less skillet full of wood chips under the bowl between the vent and the fire, and see if it's hot enough down there to cause the wood to smoke and naturally pass through by normal convection? I would think the embers that make it through the fire grate would be enough to get them smoking - without igniting. Don't think there's room down there for the logs you're using... but smaller chunks of apple might fit.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    So what was the verdict?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    So I understand this correctly: the burning lump has the capability to "scrub" the smoke of undesirable components that cause "off taste" when the butt is exposed to smoke normally created by the burning lump? Since you're force injecting the smoke down into the inferno, then capturing it in the airflow on the way back up to the chimney, you benefit by surrounding the butt with "scrubbed" smoke?

I don't see how you can keep "un-scrubbed" smoke from leaking out the top, it's not like you have a gasket between the lid and the skillet.

If it's a "thing" that passing smoke through the lump somehow "purifies" it, then why not take the bowl out, put your handle-less skillet full of wood chips under the bowl between the vent and the fire, and see if it's hot enough down there to cause the wood to smoke and naturally pass through by normal convection? I would think the embers that make it through the fire grate would be enough to get them smoking - without igniting. Don't think there's room down there for the logs you're using... but smaller chunks of apple might fit.
    Huh?
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Because I didn't want to mutilate any cast iron, I tried this using aluminum foil loaf pans. It worked fine, the wood carbonized inside the pans and I got no billowing gray smoke. The food was great.

Choose your size, poke the holes, load the wood of your choice, cover doubly with thick foil, and toss it in the fire, holes down. Cheap, easy, effective. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Verdict??

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I don't quite understand this whole process, not a big science guy. I understand that the smoke ring is just a chemical reaction. So if this is way off base please forgive me. On the 15th we cooked a brisket in my stick burner, it is a home built Reverse Flow. Used cherry wood...temperature was 250*-280*. Rub was salt, pepper, onion & garlic powders with a bit of Chipotle. Had a beautiful smoke ring. Yesterday we cooked a brisket in our XL. same exact rub. Had Mesquite lump. Temperature was anot Auber controlled 275*. Brisket had a beautiful smoke ring, easily rivaling the RF. Ernestina just made me a brisket omelet, had a very smokey aroma/taste. I don't quite understand how you folks don't get enough "smokey goodness". Or is the ring not a good indicator of how much smoke the meat picked up? 
    Apologies for the length...and the mini hi-jack...
  • blasting
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

No verdict yet.  IT is 171.  

Sunday night is guilty pleasure TV night.  I forgot about the experiment completely, and after watching Game of Thrones and Fear the Walking Dead I went to bed.  This morning I get up at 5:45 and realize I probably just blew it, since I hadn't checked it before bed, or put a controller on.  Temp had climbed about 15 degrees to 240, but was running perfectly.  This should be an advertisement for both the egg, as well as the great airflow of the KAB. 

I normally wouldn't open things up mid cook, but I didn't even have a probe inserted.  This experiment should yield a pretty decent lunch.  Cooking patio smells amazing right now!

@Toxarch and others have brought up the science aspect.  I really hope those so inclined can weigh in, but that's not my forte.  I've seen a lot of buzz on this on the forums, but nobody really documented it, so that is my goal.
    Phoenix 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Love it. I've never seen or used the Karubeque but it's a similar idea and it seems like a good one. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That looks amazing so far.  Can't wait to hear/see the final results.
    Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Sounds a lot like making charcoal. Interested in seeing what's left in the poor skillet.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Don't leave us hanging!

The Karubeque (http://www.kbq.us/) had me thinking about how to manage smoke quality, and this looks like a great approach.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Love it. I've never seen or used the Karubeque but it's a similar idea and it seems like a good one. 
    That might have cost me some money. That thing is cool. Almost just what I've been looking for. I wish it weren't a cabinet and I wish it had a larger fuel bin. No reason he couldn't build a larger gravity feed hopper on top for longer run times.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A bong filters out impurities by running the smoke through a column of water (or so I am told).  There has to be a way you could also sacrifice an RTIC cooler (Yeti's are too nice to sacrifice and RTIC is the Lodge equivalent in the cooler world... =) ) and port the smoke through water kept cold in the RTIC (not as cold as a Yeti, but probably cold enough) and then back into the egg.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I wonder if you couldn't light something like an A-Maze-N-Smoker in the ash bin under the fire grate and allow the smoke from that to come up through your lump. 
  • blasting
    Options
    A bong filters out impurities by running the smoke through a column of water (or so I am told).  There has to be a way you could also sacrifice an RTIC cooler (Yeti's are too nice to sacrifice and RTIC is the Lodge equivalent in the cooler world... =) ) and port the smoke through water kept cold in the RTIC (not as cold as a Yeti, but probably cold enough) and then back into the egg.

Wouldn't someone have to stand at the RTIC bong and suck on a tube for the entire cook?

btw, hilarious post.
    Phoenix