Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier lump

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Just picked up a 20# bag of this stuff last week at Lowes for like $12. I've also seen it in 50# bags at BJ's for $20. What's the deal? Small pieces and seems to burn real well when loaded in fresh but relights are almost impossible. Took me my electric starter with 4 green egg starter pieces to get my lump fired up again. I'm going back to RO.

Comments

• Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I used it once.  That's the end of that story.  =)
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I actually gave it the benefit of the doubt and bought it twice at BJs. It had huge pieces at the top of the bag , but probably 5lb of fines and dust in the bottom ( both times ). Here in FL. Used lump in general gathers humidity very fast. ( IMO ). I fight this by spreading it to the outer perimeter, and putting fresh lump in the middle. But in the end it all seems to burn ( eventually) :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Weedburner--no lighting issues--ever. muti purpose--works for cigars as well
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I used Frontier last year. There is USA made and Mexican made - you have to check the bag. The Mexican made lump is garbage - smells bad, and it takes forever to burn clean. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Used it a couple of times with far less than stellar results. Lump size was not good in over all packaging, burn time weaker than Most others, and emitted a very odd smokey flavor to the food. I used cooking oil soaked paper towels as starters, so no problem starting, but it seemed to self extinguish much easier than most others, meaning you had to monitor the cook much more closely.
    i would prefer not to have to use it again. RO and the other labels they produce is far superior in my experience, as is Carbon del Sur, and my personal favorite, by far; Rockwood.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I saw the 34# bags on sale at BJs for $16.99.  I never had any problems with it.  Like cowboy, you do need to sort it.  The one or two pieces of semi charred wood will make white smoke for at least 15 minutes.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.