Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What height for second cooking grid?

Options
Hey all, looking for some input from the experienced masters here... I am planning to add a second level grid on my large BGE. I have found some instructions that use 4" SS bolts, but is 4" of clearance enough to squeeze a pork butt or beef roast underneath? I was planning to do one each of 7lb pork butt and beef roast for a party next weekend but 4" seems too slim. Any thoughts/input?

Denver, CO

Comments

• Mantoothian
    Mantoothian Posts: 85
    Options
    Also, if I wanted to go 6" above the standard indirect grid height, what size grill grid would I need for a large? 14"?
    Denver, CO
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    Bump. Anyone?
    Denver, CO
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i believe you can go 2 inches above the gasket with the standard grid on a large
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Sorry I can't help much as I don't have a raised grid, however I would recommend you open the egg and take out your current grid and put it into the dome of the lid. Then do a measure from felt line to grid, then do the same for the bottom portion and add the two, this will give you the maximum you can raise it for that diameter of grid.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    @1move awesome idea. Thanks. I guess I'm not creative enough to think of that myself!
    Denver, CO
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    the dome starts drifting back as you open it, shim the grate up and find where the dome stars to make contact when opening it. i believe the 2 inch above was from an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill stores measures
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I use a 17" grate that's meant to hold charcoal in a weber.  I use 4" SS bolts to hold it up, and it's worked pretty well so far.  It can be a little tight, and I would recommend 5" or 6" bolts if you can get them stainless - I just couldn't find them at the time.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I went 6" raised grid on my XL and used an 18" grate.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I used an inexpensive 13.5" Weber grid on my large for raised cooking.  Firebricks raise it 4.5" above the felt line.  That gave about 1.5" of clearance with the dome thermometer.  Somewhere in that 3.5 to 4.5" range seems to be ideal.

The shape (slope) of the dome will greatly reduce the amount of grid space available to cook on the further you move it up into the dome.  Think of an attic bedroom where the roof line slopes through the room.  That space is usable, but not perfect.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Longer bolts and you can adjust to your needs. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I tried that but after a few cooks they got so gummed up I gave up on it. I went with 4 inch stainless and they sat perfectly flush with the lid. I use my meat claws right now but I need a better way to get it ou

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    This.  

I have a Large BGE.  I bought 6" bolts/washers/nuts and a 13" grate.  I can raise or lower the grid to the height I want.  I pretty much keep it about the 5" range.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mine is raised to the felt line, stock grid on the fire ring, three carriage bolts propping up a second grid. I now have three 5"x1/4" carriage bolts which gives me about 4.5" clearance between the two grids. I never cook two levels of food, but if I did, I would probably get longer bolts. Not sure how high I could go, but I would thing at least a couple of inches.

I have a large egg and my raised grid is a Weber 17.5" cooking grate, $17.25 if you have to order from Weber, here. Might find one locally. Almost as big as the stock BGE grid and I like the fact that it has handles. Here's mine...

If you're planning something like this, how will you add an indirect piece?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mantoothian
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice folks. I went with a cheap 14" weber grid, 6" ss bolts, but only raised it up about 5". Now to fit all the meat in this sucker!
    Denver, CO
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice folks. I went with a cheap 14" weber grid, 6" ss bolts, but only raised it up about 5". Now to fit all the meat in this sucker!
    Curious where you found the 6" bolts.  In Atlanta I couldn't find them in Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware.  Did you have to order them? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Mantoothian
    Options

@goooDawqs I got mine at Home Depot actually. Ace didn't have any SS carriage bolts longer than 1", but Home Depot had the whole assortment.

Update here: I got my 14" grid raised 5" above the felt line and its just enough that I can fit a 7lb butt on the bottom and two 3lb beef chucks on the top. We're in business!

Denver, CO
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Home Depot for me as well for my SS bolts here in the ATL. 

I like the idea of fastening them to the lower grate and using them to simply hold-up the upper grate and not fastened to them....  I sense a trail is in order with some ribs this weekend!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!