Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless pork that's not dried out

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
What's a good temp range to cook boneless pork at to get a crispy outside but juicy inside? My wife and I usually like get boneless country ribs and grill em up and finish them with a nice crust of Sweet Baby Rays. I've found on the egg it real easy to get these cooked to where they're done but without any browning or crispness so by the time I coat them in baby rays they are probably overcooked. 
I've also done boneless porkchops 3 times on the egg, 2 out of the 3 times they've turned out super dried out. 

Most of these cooks I've kept the egg around 375-400 and have cooked at felt level using the PSWOO2.

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    This is going to sound snide, but it is the truth. Don't overcook them. Take them off sooner

sauce them sooner, take them off sooner

the only thing that dries out meat is overcooking
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Powak
    Options
    This is going to sound snide, but it is the truth. Don't overcook them. Take them off sooner

sauce them sooner, take them off sooner

the only thing that dries out meat is overcooking
    Good point and very true. But I find different dome temps produce very different results. I haven't found a good range to cook boneless pork at yet to get the result I'm looking for - crispy exterior, juicy interior. Any suggestions for that? I find I can cook the meat until it's done but it does not "look" it. Especially with pork. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Keep the internal temp of pork chops to 145-150º.  Country ribs are difficult because it seems that several different muscle groups get cut up and labeled as country ribs.  Some are from the loin and should be kept in the lower temps. Others are cut from the shoulder and can be cooked to higher temps.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Do you have a Thermopen?

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    "the result I'm looking for - crispy exterior, juicy interior. Any suggestions for that?"

Treat a pork chop just like a steak.  It is easier to get good results with thicker cuts.  Two temp cooking methods work best.  Standard sear then low heat or reverse sear methods.  

Cook indirect at 250º +- until internal temp is 125º.  Sear close to (or on) hot coals flipping often until internal temp reaches 145º.  (adjust to account for carryover and your preference for final internal temps).

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive been seasoning, then freezing pork chops for the grill, toss them on frozen then off at 137 internal. about 450/500 direct
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If they are thin, they will cook quickly too

thicker, sear direct at a lower temp. Even drying the chops or roast overnight or just a few hours
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    "the result I'm looking for - crispy exterior, juicy interior. Any suggestions for that?"

Treat a pork chop just like a steak.  It is easier to get good results with thicker cuts.  Two temp cooking methods work best.  Standard sear then low heat or reverse sear methods.  

Cook indirect at 250º +- until internal temp is 125º.  Sear close to (or on) hot coals flipping often until internal temp reaches 145º.  (adjust to account for carryover and your preference for final internal temps).

This is good advice, and the way I cook loin chops.

Thicker chops helps, but also cooking to the new, lower safe eating temps.  If you have to have your pork cooked to higher temps to be comfortable, loin chops are not for you.  Stick with steaks cut from the butt, they have more fat and can be moist cooking to higher internal temps.

Loin chops are going to be a little pink if you want them juicy, not all people are comfortable with this.  Just use a thermapen to verify they are a safe eating temperature.

On a side note, depending on area you are in, you can get "rib-eye" chops, they are a fattier, boneless cut compared to a loin chop, and do very well for grilling.  They are cheaper than loin chops also.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Country ribs are a different animal and will be tough and chewy if you cook them as above. Do a search on country ribs and look at the "I ate in the garage" thread.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Boneless pork chops should be cooked like a steak.  Pat dry, cooked at high temp direct (min 450*), and remove before its took late.  I go for about 140*.   Unless its a thick cut chop, by the time its nicely browned it's ready to be pulled, and there is no time to put BBQ sauce on and allow it to caramelize on the chop.  I'd do a different recipe than BBQ sauce.

Country ribs can be browned at a lower temp (like 350* direct) and then sauced.  I allow them to cook to a temp like pulled pork.  The BBQ can get baked on to them while reaching the higher temp.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Some pork that I've seen labeled country rib is really sliced butt/shoulder. For those, I usually cook to a high temp just like a butt. For something more like chops, I would cook to 137-145.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Powak
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Do you have a Thermopen?

No, I need to get one. I bought a Taylor digital thermometer but it's has to run thru a range of numbers before it settles on what the actual temp is.
  • Powak
    Options

NonaScott said:
    Country ribs are a different animal and will be tough and chewy if you cook them as above. Do a search on country ribs and look at the "I ate in the garage" thread.
    At grocery stores around here they sell two types of boneless country ribs. 3-4" long ones with maybe a rib of fat in the middle and those 8-10" long ones with mostly fat and gristle that turn the grill into mt st Helens after putting them on.i use the 3-4" type.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The ones that have lots of fat and are darker red are butt. Cook to 190-200 or so. The lighter, leaner are loin cut. Cook those like a chop. 145-160 your preference. 
  • Powak
    Options
    The ones that have lots of fat and are darker red are butt. Cook to 190-200 or so. The lighter, leaner are loin cut. Cook those like a chop. 145-160 your preference. 
    Right on. Thanks for the numbers. I've got to try that. You ever tried smoking the darker red ones?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I haven't, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't. Could even do a reverse sear and sauce in the sear to get all sticky. Just don't go super hot in the sear. 300-350 to keep the sugar in the sauce from getting really bitter. You'll want a little black crust, but not a ton. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Powak said:
    Right on. Thanks for the numbers. I've got to try that. You ever tried smoking the darker red ones?
    Yes, they make great pork burnt ends.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

When I do country ribs I rub them with Blues Hog rub, but any rub will do, smoke them @ 250 apple wood for about an hour, put them in a glass pan, dump in a can of coke cover tightly with foil and back on @ 250, check them at the 3 hour mark from start, if they are starting to fall apart like pulled pork they are done. At this point I will sauce and back on the fire direct to get a little char I try to catch them before they get to the fall apart stage so I can get the char with out them becoming a mess.

When I do pork chops I only get thick ones 1" + I cook them at 400-450 close to the lump and I pull them at 130, they will be charred, juicy, tender and a little pink on the inside. I never put BBQ sauce on them.

Last weekend the North Georgia eggers and I at The Georgia Mountain Eggfest did 12 whole loins cut in half on an xl this way and the tasters kept asking how did you get this pork so juicy? My answer was don't cook past 130.

Good luck on your pork cooks. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Did some boneless small loin chops last night. Raised direct (actually, just low charcoal amount, good distance below the grate). Lid was open (searing only because they were thin)

i cooked mine to touch, pulled it off, and shut the lid to overcook everyone else's. Maybe 145 for them

my wife grabbed the biggest one, cut it in half and said "oops. this one is under done" she gets up and nukes it (!) for 30 secs or so to get it white (not grey) in the center. Too much for me

damn i said. Sorry. I really thought i cooked them medium medium-well for you, rats. (Even at that temp, still moist)

so i get my plate ready with veggies, and reach over to grab a chop. I'm thinking, if theirs were that ubder done, mine will be rare.

But. Um. Oh no. 

She had taken mine off the pile. 

The others were cooked just like they prefer. And mine was sitting on her plate and my youngest son's. Microwaved and just as overcooked as the rest. :(

Dad's. Is.  Always. The. Biggest. Chunk.  Of. Meat. On. The. Plate. 

Most of the times the rule works

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have actually seen both types of country ribs (loin and butt) cooked low and slow.  I think even though they are from the loin they have enough fat on them that it will break down (similar to loin back ribs). 

Here is an example where he cooks both types.
    http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1854

I think where you can can end up with dry pork is when you cook it to "no man's land" which is around 160.  This is the point when all the water has been cooked out, but the fat/collagen hasn't been broken down so it is dry. 

Cuts like butts and ribs have lots of fat in them so they are usually way "overcooked".  The magic happens because the fat breaks down and adds moisture (or more specifically yummy fat grease) back to the meat.   So, I think for country style ribs you may try cooking them all the way up to 190 plus until they probe tender.  For pork chops it is best to have a final temp at 145 for maximum moisture. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I agree w everyone that says keep it at 140.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 77bronco
    77bronco Posts: 56
    Options
    I have done boneless chops with this technique and they turn out fabulous. Very juicy with good crust and awesome flavor. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155810/best-pork-chop-ive-ever-had/p1
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm with my buddy @JupiterJim.  Sear then braise if you have shoulder.  This is similar to how I like St Louis pork steaks, which are bandsaw sliced shoulder.  Seared, then braised with onions, garlic, Maulls, and Bud in pan.  You could braise then sear too.  ATK sears, braises, then sears again.  They're pretty good at Fockin' up anything simple that traditionally works. 

The braising and higher finishing temp is needed for the shoulder to break down and tenderize. 

Loin country ribs, I'd smoke low and slow indirect, or grill raised direct to a lower  finishing temp, mid 130s, as mentioned.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Powak
    Options
    Focker said:
    I'm with my buddy @JupiterJim.  Sear then braise if you have shoulder.  This is similar to how I like St Louis pork steaks, which are bandsaw sliced shoulder.  Seared, then braised with onions, garlic, Maulls, and Bud in pan.  You could braise then sear too.  ATK sears, braises, then sears again.  They're pretty good at Fockin' up anything simple that traditionally works. 

The braising and higher finishing temp is needed for the shoulder to break down and tenderize. 

Loin country ribs, I'd smoke low and slow indirect, or grill raised direct to a lower  finishing temp, mid 130s, as mentioned.

Hey what's Mauls?
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options

When I do country ribs I rub them with Blues Hog rub, but any rub will do, smoke them @ 250 apple wood for about an hour, put them in a glass pan, dump in a can of coke cover tightly with foil and back on @ 250, check them at the 3 hour mark from start, if they are starting to fall apart like pulled pork they are done. At this point I will sauce and back on the fire direct to get a little char I try to catch them before they get to the fall apart stage so I can get the char with out them becoming a mess.

When I do pork chops I only get thick ones 1" + I cook them at 400-450 close to the lump and I pull them at 130, they will be charred, juicy, tender and a little pink on the inside. I never put BBQ sauce on them.

Last weekend the North Georgia eggers and I at The Georgia Mountain Eggfest did 12 whole loins cut in half on an xl this way and the tasters kept asking how did you get this pork so juicy? My answer was don't cook past 130.

You were a cooking fool, last weekend... fun times and good to see you and your bride again....

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

You were a cooking fool, last weekend... fun times and good to see you and your bride again....
    Feeling is mutual my friend! Funny how we show up and cook till we almost drop and then say how much fun it was! It certainly is fun and looking forward to next year! :) If the Godfather will allow us back??????

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Powak said:
    Focker said:

Hey what's Mauls?
    It's a thinner BBQ sauce made in the Lou.  Bud, and it, are a must for pork steaks.  Your but her should be able to cut the butt for you.  I get mine at Schnucks, they supposedly created the pork steak, based in the St Louis.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."