Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hickory mini-logs at Home Depot?

GoooDawgs
GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
I was in Home Depot getting a few bags of apple wood chunks and came across a 25 pound bag of either charbroil or kingsford hickory mini-logs next to the chunks.   They look to be 6-8 inches long and seem like would be great on low-n-slow.    I'm doing about 30 pounds of pork shoulder this weekend and thought I may try these out.

Anyone else used these logs instead of chunks?  I'm worried it may be overkill for the egg...  
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Are they real wood?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• GoooDawgs
    They are - if you cut them in 2 or 3 sections they'll look like hickory chunks
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    As in to replace the charcoal or just use them instead of chunks? The latter is fine. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GoooDawgs
    Chubbs said:
    As in to replace the charcoal or just use them instead of chunks? The latter is fine. 
    Just to mix in with the chunks.  I assume I'll just have to wait a little longer to put the meat on to give time for the white smoke to clear.  I'll report back on how it went.

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited May 2016
    GoooDawgs said:
    Chubbs said:
    Just to mix in with the chunks.  I assume I'll just have to wait a little longer to put the meat on to give time for the white smoke to clear.  I'll report back on how it went.

If you're waiting for the white smoke to clear from the wood I'm pretty sure your wasting your wood and not getting any smoke flavor. I think you are supposed to wait for clean smoke after lighting the lump with no wood. If you have wood in there you just wait for a good smell.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    It may be overkill for the egg, but worth a shot. It won't be as good as using properly seasoned wood from a local supplier or one of your own trees for example,  since this kind of stuff is usually kiln dried. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I like hickory mini logs - I'd use one log on top with two - three chunks of fruit wood buried 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    If you decide to cut the mini logs into chunks, please use caution. I recently did this with a compound miter saw and nearly lost a finger, although I am experienced with my tools. The hard wood hickory caused the blade to bind, release, then bind again in mere seconds. The results were a huge blood blister on my finger, a compound miter saw base cracked in half, and I had to use a hammer to release the wood chunk from the blade. I'd use a super sharp blade and push stick next time, although I highly doubt I'll ever go this route again. Just be careful!
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    n8er said:
    If you decide to cut the mini logs into chunks, please use caution. I recently did this with a compound miter saw and nearly lost a finger, although I am experienced with my tools. The hard wood hickory caused the blade to bind, release, then bind again in mere seconds. The results were a huge blood blister on my finger, a compound miter saw base cracked in half, and I had to use a hammer to release the wood chunk from the blade. I'd use a super sharp blade and push stick next time, although I highly doubt I'll ever go this route again. Just be careful!

Yes I told the guy I buy wood from I was going to break some of the splits down and he said not to do it. He had the same issue he broke a Dewalt miter saw and said its very dangerous.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I cut mine with a bandsaw. Would have never used a power miter saw, even if I had one. Small pieces, irregular shapes. Disaster lurking! Even the bandsaw binds up sometimes if I'm not careful. No kickback though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Can't you just use a sharp hatchet?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    stompbox said:
    Can't you just use a sharp hatchet?
    Too much work.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities