Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this talk made me do it........(4 pics)

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week, we had posts on cooking steaks.....this week is cast iron....so y'all made me do this.....[p]119_1985.jpg[p]That is the ole bayou classic griddle, minus handles, sitting one inch off the lump. [p]119_1980.jpg[p]The subject of the cook are presliced tri-tips from Costco seasoned with blackening rub, kosher salt and a little canola oil. [p]119_1983.jpg[p]The end result by comment: The wife and daughter were delayed to dinner. By the time they got to the kitchen, about 10 minutes, I had already eaten the two small pieces of tip. I hate it when I do that....not really. [p]119_1998.jpg[p]
Here are a couple interesting things about this cook: I started the guru when I fired the lump, (3/4 full firebox of B&B) kept it running with damper fully open through the whole cook. When the egg reached 550 degrees dome, I dropped in the cast iron griddle. After that, the egg temp, dome, never got any higher than 525 degrees. After the tips were finished pan blackening (about one minute per side..I am such a whimp - could have gone longer), I threw a couple small pieces of mesquite chunks on the pan. They started smoking in about five minutes at which time the tips went back in the egg on a raised grid to finish, 135ish degrees internal - family likes steak on the medium side.[p]There is one piece of tip left... I figure lunch tomorrow with a vadelia onion. Man, I can't wait to see what we talk about next week....T[p]

Comments