Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Reverse sear or traditional

Options
cul-de-sac-er
cul-de-sac-er Posts: 218
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
Good evening everyone,
The wife and I are cooking some nice filets tonight and she bought me a cast iron grate. Am I better off cooking direct or going reverse sear.
Thanks for any input.
Shane

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    How thick?  I generally reverse sear if 1.5" or more.
    XL BGE
  • SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    My $0.02, I only reverse sear meat that has been altered from its "raw" form.  For instance, a steak/tenderloin/etc is cut in its "natural" form.  Meats like that, I still strongly prefer searing it to your liking then cooking indirect to your desired temp. 

However, say a burger (meet ground/tore down from its natural form), I prefer reverse sear. I like to cook burgers indirect with some smoke, then about 20 degrees from my desired temperature I sear them.

Hope this helps.
  • cul-de-sac-er
    cul-de-sac-er Posts: 218
    Options
    Took your advice and filets turned out awesome thank you my friend!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Filets, in my experience are pretty hard to mess up. I cook them for My Beautiful Wife, in the manner mentioned above.
    when we do a whole loin, we reverse sear it after roasting. Works out great!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky