Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher paper or HDF?what works better?

Options
I read here that alot of you wrap brisket and pork butts in HDF or butcher paper and a towel and put in a cooler for a few hours before eating,what works best?
i have some HDF but cannot find butcher paper anywhere.does anyone have an internet source?is some paper better than others?  Thanks!!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Just to make sure you have many options, give the following link a look.  End game-your call.  FWIW-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Brisket - paper

pork - foil

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    Great video,thanks that answers a lot of questions.but how far into the cook do they wrap it in paper?
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    I saw some on The Ceramic Grill Store website for around $30. Can't remember to size and shipping cost though. I have always used foil, because that is always what's available. However, every Texas Hill Country place I have ever been to swears by the paper, if they wrap. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Options
    Great video,thanks that answers a lot of questions.but how far into the cook do they wrap it in paper?
    I usually go 160-170 IT. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    If there is a Restraunt Depot in your area, they have everything you will need for butcher paper and foil. I wrap around 160F with paper for brisket. Pork butts, I never wrap.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    @Battleborn you wrap it at 160-170 and what temp do you pull it off at?  Ps what temp are you cooking at?
    im still learning and trying new ways.
  • Battleborn
    Options
    @Captainjimpark I am also new to the EGG, my brisket experience is with an off-set smoker. However, 250-275 should be a pretty good temp to keep it at. I would pull it when a probe will go through it without resistance. Usually around 195-200 IT. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    Options
    I run nekked thru the cook ( lazy and will likely end up in the FTC mode since the cow is so unpredictable...) but if you use foil, you will speed the cook and lose some of the crispness to the bark.  Butcher paper allows the brisket to breathe and preserves your bark texture and color.  All wrapping decisions are based on how the cook is going nd generally take place in the 160-175*F range as noted above.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    sam's has the white butcher paper cheap. Its the same as the pink. I can send you some of the pink stuff if you just want to try it. I have the jumbo roll and can spare some.

wrapping is for many reasons and the "when" depends on a lot of things. What are you hoping to accomplish by wrapping- I may be able to save you the hassle

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     "when" depends on a lot of things. 
    No truer words have ever been spoken. The Thunder Gods could not have said it any better brother Tex. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker,I've only cooked one brisket so far.i cooked it at like 220 until it looked and felt done and it came out perfect.now I bought a meat thermometer and used it on a pork but with excellent results.im gonna do another brisket this weekend and just want to try paper,looks like most of the big guns on the forum do it so I gotta try it,especially letting it rest for a few hours wrapped and in a cooler.im gonna head to SAMs and see if they got paper,next week I'm going to be driving by Denton tx so I'm gonna check them out also.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    a proper hold is as important as the cook. It does not have to be in a cooler if you are eating soon but I like a couple hours in the cooler for sure. I only wrap during the cook if my bark is getting too dark and crusty. Some wrap to speed up the cook, others think it will magically make the brisket more moist (it doesn't). On most of my brisket cooks I wrap in paper once it's done and hold in a cooler for a few hours. You don't need towels unless you are planning on holding a long time or you have a really big cooler and need to fill some space.
    I go at least an hour then allow it to cool down on the counter until you can easily handle it with bare hands to slice. I also wait 10-15 min before putting it in the cooler so the temp is not still rising. don't want to overshoot while in the coole\r.

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker great info thanks. What temp do you like your briskets before you pull them off? The only one I cooked so far was without a thermometer
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Captainjimpark
    Brother Captain, if I'm interpreting your question correctly, you are inquiring about "resting" a brisket, not cooking it. If that's the case, there is almost zero difference in a brisket rested in foil versus one rested in paper. Only a select chosen few or the Brisket Gods themselves could tell a minor difference. 
    As long as the brisket is allowed to cool (so the cooking stops) it really doesn't matter what it's wrapped in for the rest. You have heard many times before no doubt that paper breathes better than foil. While this is certainly true, it's only true while cooking. Once cooking has ceased, the ability to breath, or the lack thereof, is insignificant for the most part. As with most things, there are some exceptions to this, but they do not warrant mention here as they are not applicable to beef primals and subprimals. 
    Just to be clear, when it comes to "cooking" I prefer both paper and naked over foil. But that's just me my friend. But as far as resting, the difference is insignificant as long as the brisket is allowed to rest for a short while to stop the cooking before wrapping it. 
    For the record, I made all the above up :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker great info thanks. What temp do you like your briskets before you pull them off? The only one I cooked so far was without a thermometer
    I go by feel. Store bought briskets usually feel right somewhere around 200. I start checking around 190 and pull when it probes right. If it's not super tender by 202-203 I pull it no matter what and hope it settles down in the cooler. Some do, some don't.  

I'm doing a snake river farms tonight. They are usually done in the mid to high 180's so not all beasts are created equally. That's why you really need to learn to trust how they feel rather than pull at a certain temp. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The only one I cooked so far was without a thermometer

I like your style :)

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    The only one I cooked so far was without a thermometer

I like your style :)

I had never used a meat thermometer before in my life,and had never cooked a brisket before.i bought a brisket at Walmart ,carved the fat off except a layer maybe an eighth of an inch thick,rubbed it and let it sit in the fridge overnight and put it on my egg and let it cook at around 220-225,lost track of the time but when I opened that lid it was absolutely perfect.i wish now I would have wrote down the cooking time and the weight of the brisket but I didn't ,I hope I can get this one cooked as good
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Captainjimpark -  if that's your process and it worked-all I have to offer is "better to be lucky than good any day."  But great results.  If you nail it again-as you mention, take a few notes ;)
  • lousubcap
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @TheCen_TexSmoker -  Caught that little reference to srf, and nothing in caps ;)  Enjoy the cook-I've been self-deprived of a SRF brisket cook for too long-need to haul one out of the freezer and line it up for next weekend.  Enjoy.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I saw some on The Ceramic Grill Store website for around $30. Can't remember to size and shipping cost though. I have always used foil, because that is always what's available. However, every Texas Hill Country place I have ever been to swears by the paper, if they wrap. 
    yes, 30 bucks includes shipping.  it's 40#, noncoated, 24" wide by 250' rolls.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Captainjimpark -  if that's your process and it worked-all I have to offer is "better to be lucky than good any day."  But great results.  If you nail it again-as you mention, take a few notes ;)
    Lol. Ya I did everything wrong,cheap brisket,I carved this thing up to where you couldent even tell it was a brisket,never looked at it once and let it rest long enough for me to grab a knive fork and plate.. But it was awesome and even got the nod of approval from a couple of bbq heavyweights that live next door.  I'm definitely taking notes on this one
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I go by feel. Store bought briskets usually feel right somewhere around 200. I start checking around 190 and pull when it probes right. If it's not super tender by 202-203 I pull it no matter what and hope it settles down in the cooler. Some do, some don't.  

I'm doing a snake river farms tonight. They are usually done in the mid to high 180's so not all beasts are created equally. That's why you really need to learn to trust how they feel rather than pull at a certain temp. 

I have never had a SRF brisket done at under 200 and it is usually higher than that. It's all I cook in competitions.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    if you watch some of the shows almost everyone of the bbq joints in Texas use butcher paper I reason cause it's cheap to buy and serve food in....clean up is easy and straight forward....fwiw

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smokeyw said:

I have never had a SRF brisket done at under 200 and it is usually higher than that. It's all I cook in competitions.
    Pulled at 186 yesterday. It was like probing a birthday cake it was so tender. Last one I did was 187. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    pasoegg said:
    if you watch some of the shows almost everyone of the bbq joints in Texas use butcher paper I reason cause it's cheap to buy and serve food in....clean up is easy and straight forward....fwiw
    Most of the old school Texas places were all retail meat markets as well. They cooked the briskets and sold them on the weekends because they weren't highly prized as a cut of meat. They also made sausage out of it which is why all our sausage is beef down here. That's why they used/use butcher paper to wrap it all up and even as plates. They had tons of it lying around. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    pasoegg said:
    Most of the old school Texas places were all retail meat markets as well. They cooked the briskets and sold them on the weekends because they weren't highly prized as a cut of meat. They also made sausage out of it which is why all our sausage is beef down here. That's why they used/use butcher paper to wrap it all up and even as plates. They had tons of it lying around. 
    Most of how BBQ started was due to the low cost of the goods.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker