Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Legs up or down?

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
When baking? Have only baked a few cakes and have had the legs of the plate setter up. Will be getting my wife her own Egg, a Medium,  this Saturday...she wants to have a dedicated Egg for baking.... 

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    My vote is legs up. You need the air to be able to pass under the grill grate. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    legs up and grate out of there. When using a bundt pan I always use 3 green feet or spacers so the pan is not resting on the PS. In the medium egg there really isn't that much height.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    feet up, w/ a grill grate on top, and a baking stone on top of that.
    LBGE circa 2016
  • dougcrann
    Options
    RRP said:
    legs up and grate out of there. When using a bundt pan I always use 3 green feet or spacers so the pan is not resting on the PS. In the medium egg there really isn't that much height.
    Wish BGE still offered those Green feet. I bought a set off of Ebay few months ago.....just bought another set for the Boss. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    RRP said:
    Wish BGE still offered those Green feet. I bought a set off of Ebay few months ago.....just bought another set for the Boss. 
    Doug - as handy as you are then do what I have done...I had a scrap piece of 1" ID copper tubing. Marked off 1" lengths and using my tubing cutter made a bunch of pieces. When standing upright then 3 of those pieces are rock solid and even if you lose a piece or two so what? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I don't think I have ever used legs down..... what is the practical or benificial use I am not seeing?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    stompbox said:
    I don't think I have ever used legs down..... what is the practical or benificial use I am not seeing?
    When making Stromboli, I like to go legs down with a round stone sitting on the plate setter. I think it was brother D who gave me that tip two years ago. It works great for Stromboli so I have stuck with it. This is the only time that I turn the legs down on the setter. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    When baking?
    Ok.  Question answered.
    Options
    SGH said:
    stompbox said:
    When making Stromboli, I like to go legs down with a round stone sitting on the plate setter. I think it was brother D who gave me that tip two years ago. It works great for Stromboli so I have stuck with it. This is the only time that I turn the legs down on the setter. 
    @SGH. Thanks for the reply.  I have always set it up the same way for strombolis as pizza.  That is legs up and the strombolis up in the dome on an AR.  Shrug.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    RRP said:

If you don't have the green feet go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some copper elbows at least 3/4" they work like a charm as a spacer!
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited May 2016
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Pizza!  
    (And for the OP's question for an Egg dedicated to baking, wouldn't "legs down" and a Pizza Stone on top of the plate setter be a good set-up?)
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    stompbox said:
    I use legs down for pizza.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Sometimes I go legs up and sometimes I go legs down.  It depends on the mood that day.  Oh, sometimes I cook stuff in my egg too!
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I'm not sure why anyone goes legs down. I can accomplish the same thing by going legs up with a grate on top and then the pizza stone on the grate. An added bonus is I don't put excessive heat on the gasket by the stone being about the same level as the gasket.
  • Tony_T
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Either way works.  Its also possible to forgo the stone and "grill" the pizza.
    "MMmmmmm…    Pizza…….. (and beer…..)

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do legs down. Ceramic feet then plate setter  cooked a pie this past weekend that way. Came out great. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Tony_T
    Options
    Never tried with the feet, always placed the stone on the setter.
    Does the space between the stone and setter allow the stone to heat up faster?
    (Now what the hell did I do with my feet?)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Wondering if it's the lanai or bedroom.. 8 - )
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Depends on what the face looks like.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Legs down for pizza or any higher heat cook. I think it gets to high temps faster and burns cleaner for baking that way with my normal large load of lump in the firebox. Did pizza last week and it responded much better to the temp demands. I had cooked wings at 375 before raising to 550 for the 'za. It was taking a long time to climb in temp until I turned the plate setter legs down. Had to work quick. That thing was HOT!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've always preferred legs up.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Lit said:
    I second that
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    txhawkeye said:
    Lit said:
    I second that
    If one keeps any standard, legs up.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Prefer them on my shoulders...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just another way to control the relative (ratio) heat between the stone and the radiant heat from the dome.  Lots of ways to do this, and the temp and dough type, etc are variables that come into play.  There's no right or wrong, just a good product.  However you get there, the end product is what makes it right (or wrong).
    Options
    Legs down, pizza stone elevated with bricks. Works very well for us in the XL.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky