Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke can't leave your property in Florida.

Options
tgs2401
tgs2401 Posts: 423
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g-m152STKMA&feature=youtu.be

Now to be fair, he might have three smokers running 24/7 in his backyard completely fogging her house.....
One large BGE in Louisville, KY.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I'd move
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Yeah you have to read the article to get the whole story as is with most stuff posted on the interwebz 
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I'd still move.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You know, it's just one man talking here, and we all have our own different thoughts and opinions on somethings. But this is just beyond stupid. Have we as a society really became so liberal and stupid that we no longer like Q? If so, then may God help us all. Makes you wonder what's next. Rainbows on the White House and men wearing pink panties. Oh, that has already happened. I guess it's time to complain about folks cooking then. Give me a fukking break already.   

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    This is of course an old story that was discussed quite a bit here a number of months back.  It will be interesting to see how many people make the same comments as before. Has anyone changed your views since we last discussed this?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    You need to live where I live. We have no ordinances. Small township where the people in control don't want to be bothered.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    Wondering  how a little smoke becomes a "liberal" issue?  
  • SGH
    Options
    victor1 said:
    Quite simple. Check any area where a politician tried to ban Qing or pushed the smoke nuisance issue. To date, not one conservative has ever approved or went along with it. Not one. It has been a democrat every single time. This is not some of my bull$hit. It is a simple fact that you can look into for yourself. And I encourage you to do so. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SGH said:
    victor1 said:
    Quite simple. Check any area where a politician tried to ban Qing or pushed the smoke nuisance issue. To date, not one conservative has ever approved or went along with it. Not one. It has been a democrat every single time. This is not some of my bull$hit. It is a simple fact that you can look into for yourself. And I encourage you to do so. 

Yeah, as soon as someone can tell me how to control the wind, I'll get right on that.  I think common sense left the building a long time ago Scottie.

For now I have to explain to my 13 year old that it's now ok if men in dresses share the bathroom with her.  No, no it doesn't matter if that makes you uncomfortable...  What is most important is that the hairy man in a dress is made to feel normal. 

Time to become a hermit.  

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    @blasting
    I feel your pain brother. It is really sad that we live in a world where Q is considered a problem but men in pink panties is perfectly fine. The lastest bathroom issue that is going on right now is just down right wrong on every level. There use to be a time when a man was caught in the ladies rest room he was considered a pervert and prosecuted. Now all he has to do is say that he feels like a women today and it's ok for him to use the women's bathroom. To each their own I guess, but I would open fire on a man if I caught him in the bathroom with my grand daughter. I don't care what he felt like that day. Such a sick world that we live in. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I would still move.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'd load up the cheapest smoker I could fine with a tree's worth of fresh cut pine and smoke the crap outta my neighbor. 

Ive got one house that comes to see if I'm smoking ribs so their dog can get some bones!  Glad to help them out!

This world and its current affairs is baffling me!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have a home owners association in my area that i used to work for.  They tightly regulates "undesirable behavior". This ranges from everything from mowing your lawn and keeping your trash cans hidden to open flames and smoke "pollution".  

People love to complain about the regulations, but never seem object to agreeing to them when buying a home in the nicer neighborhood.  Personally, I wouldn't want to live there but, people can't have it both ways.

i wonder if this was a county regulation or a home owners assoc regulation?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    SGH said:
    victor1 said:
    In my area our local Congress critter (a conservative Republican) has joined in with some of his waterfront property neighbors to try and prevent the state from granting ground leases to folks that want to farm oysters in the PUBLIC waterway in front of their property.

For the most part that activity would be pretty much invisible except for a couple hours a week when the farmers work their beds but the local swells are upset that seeing those working boats will destroy their view and enjoyment of their property.

They all claim they certainly support the efforts to bring back oysters in the bay/inlet (which have actually been growing well in recent years) and actually buy the farmers oysters at area restaurants but you know...NIMBY.

NIMBYists know no party affiliation or follow some clear liberal/conservative demarcation.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options

More background information........

A longstanding dispute about backyard grilling has a St. Petersburg, Florida, neighborhood up in smoke. 

Cell phone video from last week captures a mundane confrontation between brothers Dwayne and Chris Matt, and Pinellas County environmental inspector Joe Graham, who visited their home to address a recent complaint about smoke and odor coming from their barbecue.

Graham asks the men to try to contain the smoke from their grill to their yard, per a county ordinance he reads to them. Although barbecuing is legal, county ordinances prohibit air pollution.

This video shows that the Matts are clearly fed up. They’ve received more than a dozen complaints about the smoke, and all but one of them came from the same neighbor. 

“Everybody else cooks out around here, and nobody harasses them,” Chris Matt tells Graham. He said he and his brother had lived in the area for years without a complaint until three years ago, when a new neighbor moved in.   

That neighbor, Sue Godfirnon, has filed 14 complaints against the Matts since September 2014, according to Bay News 9. She is also suing them, claiming that the smoke from the grill is poisoning her, according to Tampa Bay ABC affiliate WFTS. 

“This smoke permeates my house, and causes me to have health problems, including chest pains and asthma attacks,” Godfirnon wrote in a February email to the county. “I am virtually a prisoner in my own home.”

She also provided a photo of a carbon monoxide detector in her home that shows a reading of  170 parts per million, a concentration that can cause headaches, fatigue and nausea, according to the Tampa Bay Times. 

A security camera on Godfirnon’s house shows smoke billowing from the Matts’ grill across the street, according to WFTS.

An antigovernment blog picked up on the footage and claimed it’s the county that’s cooking up trouble by trying to prohibit the Matts from grilling. That’s not the case.

Backyard barbecue grilling in Pinellas County is not banned. It is not illegal. It is absolutely legal,” the county’s air quality control manager, Ajaya Satyal, told WFLA.

According to the Tampa Bay Times, the county hasn’t issued a citation against the homeowners, only provided them with an “advisory letter” that lists guidelines and potential penalties for causing pollution or excessive odors. The brothers received one citation from the city of St. Petersburg last year for having a commercial grill in a residential neighborhood.

Chris Matt told Bay News 9 they don’t know their neighbor personally. 

“One day maybe [I’ll] cook for her,” Dwayne Matt told WFTS. “I would just like her to see what all the madness is about. We’re very good cooks.” 

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited May 2016
    Options
    St. Pete, huh...?

I live in downtown Tampa. I don't hear peep when I smoke, other than "what are you cooking now?" I'm not billowing smoke all over the neighborhood, though.

...but, then again, most of my neighbors are reasonable people.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I love when my neighbor's smoke crosses the fence - he has an Egg too.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Build a wall.......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    OK, if it is true that:
    She also provided a photo of a carbon monoxide detector in her home that shows a reading of  170 parts per million, a concentration that can cause headaches, fatigue and nausea, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
    I don't know what those guys are burning, but they really should build a nice tall chimney. Kinda like not letting your dog **** on the neighbors lawn, but if it does, you clean it up.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Build a wall.......
    Only if you can make your neighbor pay for it
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA