Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get temp over 600 -- too much ash???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i haven't been able to get the nuclear temps (over 600) for TRexing steaks, etc on my last cook. i haven't cleaned out the ash from the large BGE for the last 4 or 5 cooks. (i'm still waiting for the delivery of the ash tool from an online merchant). [p]it doesn't seeem like there's a lot of ash to me...maybe about a layer 1/8 to 1/4 inches high. there's plenty of room for air flow, in my opinion.[p]the firebox is full of lump, some fresh, some old. i shook all the lump around to knock off the ash...made sure the hole in the firebox was lined up with the bottom draft door. just can't get temps going that high...[p]in my previous 4 or 5 cooks, i was always able to get the needle past the 750 mark...now, i can barely get it up to 600. [p]what gives, y'all???

Comments

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    George,
    Did you try to at least stir up the old lump? Try to get any of the smaller pieces out or away from the air holes in the bottom of the firebox, they will restrict airflow.
    Also used lump doesn't seem to get as hot as new lump, even if new lump is added, the old stuff just doesn't seem to get too hot.
    When I have a lot of used lump in mine, I'll take it all out and only add the lrger lumps with some new. Then on the very top, I 'll toss in some of the smaller used pieces. [p]This is real common with my small egg, that needs to be clean and full of fresh lump at all times.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Let's see...you've cooked 4 or 5 times....haven't cleaned out the ash in the bottom....and you've just kept adding new lump...firing up the egg....still keep cooking.....and can't figure why you can't get the Egg over 600 degrees.....[p]Air = Fire / Temp...Chances are you have a bunch of little pieces of lump clogging up your grate...limiting air-flow...limiting temperature.....pretty basis stuff....[p]That's not to say I haven't done the same thing...but going 4 or 5 cooks without getting your Egg in order is a bit much and beyond expectations....methinks.....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL