Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello from PA

Options
2»

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Welcome!  Lots of good advice here. Have fun and enjoy!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    logchief said:
    Hey Welcome and +1 on the pork butt (small one 5-6 lbs.  Get a bone in and when the bone pulls free (1-1.5 hrs per lb.) it'll be ready to go.  Try a fire first and get the temp dialed in around 250-275 with no meat.

Check out amazingribs.com great site for all things BBQ and the Memphis Dust rub recipe is great.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html
    Thanks for the tips.  I'll check out that website.  Just ordered some killerhog rub, seasoning, bbq sauce and other stuff off their site from a friend's recommendation.  
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Good luck on your first cook. Pork butt, ribs, chicken whatever you make, I'm sure it will be great! I highly recommend you try a spatchcock chicken within the first few weeks, you'll be amazed at how moist it is! My family also loves chicken thighs with Alabama white sauce. Have Fun!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Welcome. We're in Lancaster, PA.  Enjoy your new egg.  For chicken I would definitely recommend Spatchcock.  Very easy and it comes out great.  Start looking for a good source for meat and cooperative butchers.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Welcome! I've had my XL for a year-and-a-half and love it so much the wife asks me when I'm going to let her cook something (indoors). Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Take a whole chicken, rinse it inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Cut an onion into eighths ans crush four or five large cloves of garlic. Sprinkle rub of your choice inside of chicken then stuff onion and garlic in cavity. Rub outside of chicken with oil and sprinkle with rub. Throw on indirect grill with drip pan on platesetter. Cook at 275 with a couple of applewood or cherry chunks for about 4 hours depending on size of chicken. Turn out great every time.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Take a whole chicken, rinse it inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Cut an onion into eighths ans crush four or five large cloves of garlic. Sprinkle rub of your choice inside of chicken then stuff onion and garlic in cavity. Rub outside of chicken with oil and sprinkle with rub. Throw on indirect grill with drip pan on platesetter. Cook at 275 with a couple of applewood or cherry chunks for about 4 hours depending on size of chicken. Turn out great every time.
    Now that sounds good.

How big of a chicken?  I'm used to spatchcocking those small 4-5 lbs chickens.

Was wondering if your 4 hour guideline is for larger chickens or the little ones?

LBGE/Maryland
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    NonaScott said:
    Now that sounds good.

How big of a chicken?  I'm used to spatchcocking those small 4-5 lbs chickens.

Was wondering if your 4 hour guideline is for larger chickens or the little ones?

Mine are usually close to 5 pounds and finish between 4 and five hours depending on how cold they are when I put them on.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • nhk19
    Options
    NonaScott said:

NonaScott said:

nhk19 said:
    nhk19 said:

What kind of wood is that deck made out of??  Looks like ipe or something from down south?
    Just the top rail is synthetic wood.  Right now the name escapes me.  I did it 5 yrs ago this August. LPE???  The rest is stained the floor is painted.  We got the house at sheriff sale.  House sat empty for two + years.  It was in rough shape.  Previous owner eloped the country to escape their debt. Took awhile to get it looking good again.

IPE or ipe.....pronounced "eeepay".  It's a Brazilian walnut tree--super heavy dense stuff.  My deck is tigerwood which is similar from Brazilian cashew.  I'm not too happy with it because it fades like crazy and is starting warp a little after only 3 yrs.
    No.  It's nothing like that.  It's the plastic that's compressed to look like wood.  Darn...wish I could remember the name.  "Trex"....or something like that.  Eventually I'll use it to redo the floor.  Friend is a contractor and recommends it for the various climates here in PA.  One thing at a time. 

So....Rockwood lump is the best?  I'm new at this BGE stuff.  Trying to learn.
    I guess it's just the picture & light......looks good though.  The composite stuff has gotten better over the years.  10 years ago when they first came out they would lose color, grow mold, or warp.  Lot better now.  If I had to do it over I would do that rather than this $7/ft tigerwood stuff.  It's beautiful for about a month after a treatment, then turns to gray.

So they say on the charcoal.  It's all I use.  Haha.  Welcome aboard, you'll have a blast.

nhk19 said:
    nhk19 said:

What kind of wood is that deck made out of??  Looks like ipe or something from down south?
    Just the top rail is synthetic wood.  Right now the name escapes me.  I did it 5 yrs ago this August. LPE???  The rest is stained the floor is painted.  We got the house at sheriff sale.  House sat empty for two + years.  It was in rough shape.  Previous owner eloped the country to escape their debt. Took awhile to get it looking good again.

IPE or ipe.....pronounced "eeepay".  It's a Brazilian walnut tree--super heavy dense stuff.  My deck is tigerwood which is similar from Brazilian cashew.  I'm not too happy with it because it fades like crazy and is starting warp a little after only 3 yrs.
    No.  It's nothing like that.  It's the plastic that's compressed to look like wood.  Darn...wish I could remember the name.  "Trex"....or something like that.  Eventually I'll use it to redo the floor.  Friend is a contractor and recommends it for the various climates here in PA.  One thing at a time. 

I guess it's just the picture & light......looks good though.  The composite stuff has gotten better over the years.  10 years ago when they first came out they would lose color, grow mold, or warp.  Lot better now.  If I had to do it over I would do that rather than this $7/ft tigerwood stuff.  It's beautiful for about a month after a treatment, then turns to gray.

So they say on the charcoal.  It's all I use.  Haha.  Welcome aboard, you'll have a blast.

nhk19 said:
    nhk19 said:

nhk19 said:
    nhk19 said:

nhk19 said:
    nhk19 said:

nhk19 said:
    nhk19 said:

3 Eggs!  My wife would not be happy!  Lol
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Perfect.  I'll give it a go.  Sound delicious!  Thanks!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Another welcome from PA! Keep things simple and read nearly every thread to learn.  Take everything with a few grains of salt.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nhk19
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Welcome. We're in Lancaster, PA.  Enjoy your new egg.  For chicken I would definitely recommend Spatchcock.  Very easy and it comes out great.  Start looking for a good source for meat and cooperative butchers.
    Thanks! I will be visiting our local butcher A LOT more frequently!  
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options

Sea2Ski said:
    Another welcome from PA! Keep things simple and read nearly every thread to learn.  Take everything with a few grains of salt.
    Got it.  Thanks!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options
    Chicken I would suggest Spatchcock style raised direct @ about 400F. Whatever you choose , you will enjoy, let the smoke clear before putting the meat on (if the smoke smells good its ready to go ). Ribs are approx. 5-6 hour cook, Pork Butt 1,5 - 2hrs per pound @ 250. Don't sweat it if you don't get exactly 250 , 275 will work fine. Pork Butt cook to temp/probe ease, approx. 200 or when it probes easily. Ribs bend easily or toothpick easily probes. Enjoy !
    Thanks!  Appreciate the tips & advice!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options
    Welcome XL egger. As the rest said do a good pork butt... My XLer is located just north of you in Williamsport. Close enough that I may be able to smell the pork from your deck.
    Hi!  May I ask where you get quality meats in your area?  "Country Store" in Pennsdale?
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options

Welcome to the site. I'm in SE PA.
    Fellow XL owner.
    Thanks!  An Eagles fan I presume.  Lol
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the BGE Forum. You will certainly enjoy the XL, as your first. Just a heads up, wallet genocide is about to begin.
    The insight shared thus far, is typical, as these folks are extremely knowledgable about all things BGE.
    Take it slow, and have fun. Your going to have incredible food.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • deadlyfrog
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    Welcome XL egger. As the rest said do a good pork butt... My XLer is located just north of you in Williamsport. Close enough that I may be able to smell the pork from your deck.
    Hi!  May I ask where you get quality meats in your area?  "Country Store" in Pennsdale?
    Thompsons in Jersey Shore. Go Steelers!
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    nhk19 said:

Fellow XL owner.
    Don't really follow football anymore. Was a Raiders fan back in the day.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • nhk19
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    Thompsons in Jersey Shore. Go Steelers!
    Ok....I'm familiar with Jersey Shore.  I should be able to find if I'm ever up that way.  A little far for my go-to store.  Thanks!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options

nhk19 said:

Fellow XL owner.
    Don't really follow football anymore. Was a Raiders fan back in the day.
    Sort of the same.  Steelers fan but watch one or two games a year.  Take care!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Welcome to the BGE Forum. You will certainly enjoy the XL, as your first. Just a heads up, wallet genocide is about to begin.
    The insight shared thus far, is typical, as these folks are extremely knowledgable about all things BGE.
    Take it slow, and have fun. Your going to have incredible food.
    Hi!  Explain this wallet genocide thing everyone talks about.  Meaning lots of $$$ on meats or accessories and or additional eggs?
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    ^^^^^  Yes to all the options above.  But you can spread out the pain so SWMBO does not get suspicious.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nhk19
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ^^^^^  Yes to all the options above.  But you can spread out the pain so SWMBO does not get suspicious.  ;)
    Lol...got it.  Ok....give me tips on the accessory spending.  I ordered & received my thermapen yesterday.  Been researching which constant temp wireless monitoring thermometer to order.  Maverick 733, iGrill2 or one from where I got my Thermapen.  None come without negative comments.  Which is best?
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA