Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. BBQ's BT Champ Ribs Questions

Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to make these Sunday but am using baby back ribs instead of St. Louis style ribs. Should I adjust the cooking time down? And since there are three 'steps' to this recipe, should I adjust each step down (how much) or just one or two?[p]I'm attempting to do 6 slabs of baby backs on a large. Hope they all fit. I've done it before and it worked okay. I can't remember how I arranged them but I guess I'll figure it out Sunday.[p]Gwen

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    dimplesmom,
    6 racks shouldn't be a problem in a large. I don't remember who has it, but I hope that picture of shoving 20 racks of baby racks, without a rasied grid, pops up in this thread as a result to your question.
    ST

• dimplesmom,
    I did your exact cook about a month ago using 6 baby backs on my large, and followed the recipe pretty much per the book.[p]They were fantastic, and my second time with that recipe (first time was 3 racks - same cook time).[p]As for arrangement, I usually cut the full slabs in half so I have 12 pieces that are easier to work with. I have a rib rack that holds 6 pieces, so I end up moving the other pieces around on the sides and on top of some of the other pieces. I usually shuffle them every 45 minutes or so, so that the ones closer to the direct heat on the sides don't overcook. Once I get to the final step and go direct and add the sauce, I do end up moving 6 off to the side because they won't all fit, and do this final step in stages.[p]Hope this helps![p]- Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    e785affc.jpg
    <p />dimplesmom,[p]I can't speak for modifications to the Dr's technique, but in gentral BB's will cook faster due to their weight and some folks cook them at a little higher temp because they are leaner. You may find small adjustments are needed in your times based on the amount of ribs, your temp and set up. I'm guessing that you are using a rack. 5 racks of BB's will fit with good circulation, so 6 will work too. Many folks squeeze more in there. I do tent the bottom of the ends that hang beyond the plate setter with foil for the first 1-1/2 hours to prevent burning.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    thirdeye,[p]No, I don't have a rack. I haven't been able to get out to get one. I just crowd them on there. Not ideal as far as convenience but they seemed to cook just fine and are always delicious.[p]Gwen