Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wear from the elements?

Options
I've had a medium one year, always kept it covered and never used it in precipitation. It's been used plenty, but still looks brand new. In contrast, I've seen Eggs used for maybe two years that have never been covered and they show signs of wear (rust on the bolts and bands, perhaps a more weathered-looking glaze, etc.).

For all of you that leave your Eggs uncovered, do you notice precipitation or even sun-induced wear?

(There will undoubtedly be those who chime in to answer "the Egg is meant to be enjoyed," or "it's not a museum piece." To be clear, while I respect these opinions, I'm not looking for a read on whether the Egg should be used in the elements or not, but rather whether doing so results in noticeable wear.)

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    My handles on the eggs are bleached out, my bolts on the band have rust in the threads.

They are about 18 months old.  They are not covered at all.  I cook in snow, rain, hail, and when lucky some sunshine.

The ceramic,  after a quick wipe with simple green looks like new.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Had mine since 2001.  It's never been covered and sits in the Florida elements.  No signs of wear other than cooking related.  My nest is starting to show signs, some rust spots, but the not the egg, band or anything else.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My handles on the eggs are bleached out, my bolts on the band have rust in the threads.

They are about 18 months old.  They are not covered at all.  I cook in snow, rain, hail, and when lucky some sunshine.

The ceramic,  after a quick wipe with simple green looks like new.
    On my Med, I've stained the handle and Egg mates to avoid bleaching. Don't know if this will help in the long run.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I was brought up to buy the best tools or whatever I could afford and then take care of them. I cover my eggs and my oldest are my L and S which are both 16 now. No offense to those who don't cover as I was just trying to cast my vote in your survey! BTW had you asked this Friday night the verdict would be with the no cover group! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RRP said:
    I was brought up to buy the best tools or whatever I could afford and then take care of them. I cover my eggs and my oldest are my L and S which are both 16 now. No offense to those who don't cover as I was just trying to cast my vote in your survey! BTW had you asked this Friday night the verdict would be with the no cover group! 
    Thanks RRP. Nice to know I'm not the lone wolf in the cover camp!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I park my car in the garage when a garage is available as well. Cover is relatively inexpensive. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Way over thinking this! I think you know the answer to your question, you better cover and protect your egg or you will be very un happy......... Me I don't care and spend my time and thoughts on cooking the food. If my egg gets dirty, rusty, wet well I'm OK with that. You know what makes you happy and what makes others happy should not matter to you.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I keep mine (MM and XL ) in the garage. But I an nuts. No rust. The LX is 7-8 months old and the MM is 4 months old. I am still new to all this...

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I cover mine, got it used and the previous owner covered, it's 7 years old and the bands still look pretty good, but here in Florida with rain all the time, I worry about water getting in since I use only the daisy wheel on top, plus I like to keep the vents open during storage to allow it to breath.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    My XL is covered, my L lives in the wild. They're made to live outside.  No problems but I'm just a newbie.  Only a few years in.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

The handles alway look beat up after a while.  I think there are better choices than wood for an all weather grill.  I will be replacing mine shortly.  

Phoenix 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I cover when it's real cold just so the lid doesn't freeze shut.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ive got two old larges, both get covered in snow and i lose them for a while =) never covered. one looks pretty new, the other looks worn on the ceramics, maybe luck of the draw. handles are weathered, i actually prefer that ;) the ceramic on my small did NOT hold up at all, its been replaced under warrantee
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    My Large is 9 years old, and it has rust on the small hardware pieces. I kept it covered for the first few years, but learned that condensation occurs under the cover, which then traps the moisture. So the cover did not prevent rust, moisture, or the lid from freezing shut in my Ontario climate. After the BGE cover began to disintegrate, I stopped using it altogether.

I put mineral oil on the Egg mates to keep the wood looking good, and apart from the rusting hardware, my Egg still looks great. 
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Since 1998 my Egg has been covered. Like RRP, when you pay what we paid for these grills, you take care of them.

I'm on my second table and the 4th cover. My first three covers were from the mothership then I bought a $19.99 nameless cover (might have been a Weber cover come to think of it) from Lowe's six years ago and it's still like new. The covers from the company were/are crap as far as I'm concerned.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My large is 2.5 years old and spent the first 2 years in my garage when not in use.  Now I keep it and the small on my back patio (covered by a roof) no matter the elements.  Would say they don't look weathered.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Every time I've covered any grill / smoker, even for a few days, I always wound up with a nest of wasps or other nefarious creatures that don't like being uncovered. 

Im enjoying egging naked!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    My Large is 9 years old, and it has rust on the small hardware pieces. I kept it covered for the first few years, but learned that condensation occurs under the cover, which then traps the moisture. So the cover did not prevent rust, moisture, or the lid from freezing shut in my Ontario climate. After the BGE cover began to disintegrate, I stopped using it altogether.

I put mineral oil on the Egg mates to keep the wood looking good, and apart from the rusting hardware, my Egg still looks great. 
    I'm also in Ontario (Ottawa), so this is good to know. Thanks.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    I cover mine.  Not just to protect the egg, but also to protect the table I made for it.  A cover is a cheap and easy way to keep me from having to refinish/rebuild my table.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I suppose I'm on the side of "wish I had covered it". I did for a while, but I was using it so often it became annoying to wait for the egg to cool down to cover it, only to remove the cover 8 hours later for breakfast.

My green glaze is checker boarded, my handle looks like the pine tar end of a baseball bat, the band threads are as orange as the permatex that leaked out of the gasket I just replaced. The table is painted aluminum, so it's just ashy and dirty, but not rusty.

Inside, the ceramics are as black as the iron grill above the felt, and a mixture of blackish cream where the fire keeps things a bit nicer looking.

So, I have a cover, neatly folded in the shed and barely used even through two winters now.
    Sure wish I had the patience to keep it covered. I have no time for patience.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Mine has never been covered. It had a little corrosion on the band adjustment bolts and little rusting on the part of the nest that frequently got covered in ash. It sat for years less than ten feet from salt water at high tide. I replaced band bolts for reassembly after moving inland.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    I'm in the cover camp, one of the cheapest accessories out there.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Both of mine are not covered but on open air porch cover. Never cleaned them and they look like hell. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    Options
    My medium egg is ten years old, looks brand new because I keep it covered, even in our snowy winters
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Codfish said:
    My medium egg is ten years old, looks brand new because I keep it covered, even in our snowy winters
    If I can ask, where is it that you reside?
  • FunkytownEgger
    Options
    I apply teak oil to the wooden handle once or twice each year since the early morning sun shines on it (under covered porch) in the summer, trying to dry it out.  Other than that I just occasionally wipe the dust off the outside with a wet cloth and then if my daisy wheel gets any rust on it I re-season it, which I need to do again
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I cover mine but it's more to protect the table than the egg.
    NOLA
  • malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options

I live in the desert so it doesn't get much rain so no rust. The daisy wheel is a little rusty from being stored inside the egg which I assume gets a little humid. No biggie.

I keep it under the patio, because the AZ sun can destroy anything given time. I guess the only wear I can see is it's always covered with a fine layer of dust and sand, but again, here in the desert what isn't?

LBGE in PHX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    what could possibly go wrong =)  not a speck of rust

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it