Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What temp is too low to cook brisket

Options
I am freaking out a bit so I did not spend much time searching for the answer.

Put a 14lb brisket on last night at 11 pm.  Temp was between 225-250.  Got up this morning and the temp of the egg showed below 200 and the meat temp was 109.  I am not sure how long it took for egg temp to drop.  I opened the vent and the temp jumped back up in no time.

Did I ruin this brisket.  

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    That doesn't seem bad IMHO. As long as fires still going, just let it heat up a little and keep going.

How far below 200? 190 should be fine, but 140 would be worrisome.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • IQthere4iam
    IQthere4iam Posts: 106
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not sure. My digiq  is on the fritz so I am just going off the egg thermo. Just saw it was under 200. I know it just did not go out because the fire started back quickly.  It had to be above 225 for a few hours last night
  • Crystal79
    Crystal79 Posts: 21
    Options
    You're fine.  What time do you plan on eating?  I'll defer to the many brisket experts, but in my experience, at 225, 14 pound brisket temp only 109, you still have many hours to go. 
    I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.
    - LBGE - located in NEPA

• IQthere4iam
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've done probably 30 large Briskets in the past, so the brisket cook I am not worried about, will adjust temp as I go to meet my timeline. (did not mean for the to sound condescending). This is just the first time I had the big drop for a long period.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Any temperature above 140 and you are technically still cooking the meat.  You can drop below 140 for many hours before it is any risk.  I think you are perfectly safe. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• IQthere4iam
    Options
    Thanks for talking me off the ledge. If anyone gets sick, I will blame my sisters mac n cheese :)
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    You won't get sick because you will get it over 190 before you are done which will kill most anything on there anyway. You either get sick from eating live bacteria or toxins produced. Since you aren't in an anaerobic environment you won't get much in the way of toxins and you're gonna cook the meat well so either way you're fine 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    So what's the truth about that whole 40-140* in 4 hours?