Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New user question

Options
Howdy folks, I'm a relatively new user, as I've only had my large BGE a couple of months now. I have used it religiously since purchase, cooking all kinds of things I never thought I'd have the guts to cook.  Friday I tried my hand at beef ribs for the first time, and they turned out great. 
One of our favorite things to cook is homemade pizza. Again, not something I would've ever thought I'd be cooking at home. Last night I cooked 2. I got the egg ripping hot, almost 700, and put the first one on. It took about 13 min and it was perfect. When I took it off, the temp was down below 600. I gave it a bit more time to get back up to temp before I put the second one on, however, it never climbed up again. I went ahead and put the second one on at 550 knowing it was perfectly hot enough to cook. 
Finally to my question. How do I keep the temp up over 600 for a length of time? I didnt have the daisy wheel on top and the lower dampener was fully open. Should I have put the daisy wheel on? Closed the lower dampener a little? Is it normal for the temp to not hold that high?
I appreciate any input you may have to offer. Thanks in advance for your time. 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Temperature is controlled by air flow to the fire, so closing the vents or putting the daisy wheel back on will only lower the temp.  Keeping an egg at 700° requires a sizable fire.  It sounds like you were running out of lump and there was not enough left to get as large a fire as needed.  I don't have problems keeping a 600° fire going.  Make sure you have enough fuel in the egg.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I agree with @jtcBoynton.
    The egg must have been running out of lump.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome to the madhouse! IMO, there is no reason any egged pizza needs a 700° fire. If it were a wood fired oven, then yes. Even hotter actually. But it is not (and cannot be) a WFO and there is no benefit to baking on the egg at those temps.

Generic pies like a typical NY style, or one from your favorite neighborhood pizza joint can all be done quite nicely at 450-550°. Pan pizza and Chicago deep dish as well. That lower temp also requires far less lump and can be maintained much longer without running out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jrrhouston98
    Options
    Thank you for the help and advice. I will have to give it another go next weekend. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    +1 on not enough lump

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    I would also say that too much lump can prevent adequate air flow.  Too much coal was the problem a friend of mine was having.  So , just a nice sized load of healthy sized lump coal chunks, up to about the fire ring should be more than enough. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I find I get ash buildup between the firebox and outer shell too that seems to prevent airflow. After a couple months, maybe you need a good clean out. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    gmac said:
    I find I get ash buildup between the firebox and outer shell too that seems to prevent airflow. After a couple months, maybe you need a good clean out. 
    I have found that to be true also. Ash build up can really limit the max temp I can get for steak searing.
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Get a Infrared thermometer like Thermoworks sells, the stone should be about 575* F to 600* F.  The BIG load of lump and airflow (I have a High-Que for airflow) make it easy return to your target.  700* F is higher than I cook pizza.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Not enough lump, small lump closing the air holes, also like CarolinaQ said I'd cook pizza around 450-500.  Personally I don't do 6+ unless I am cooking steaks.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Get mesquite lump, el diablo if you can. It burns hot and lasts a long time