Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comparison

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the difference between the BGE and a Weber grill. Other than price.

Comments

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    Dennis,
    BGE is green, Weber kettle is black. HTH

• Unknown
    Options
    Dennis,
    Corvette vrs. Chevette

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Dennis,
    I suggest you hang around this forum for a while. To answer your question, there is no comaprison they each offer two seperate cooking functions.

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Dennis,
    Raptor vs cessna

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Dennis,
    The BGE can cook for 20-30 hours for low and slow barbecuing. You can maintain temperatures as low as 150 degrees for making jerky, to 1000 degrees for searing steaks. You can roast, bake, barbecue, sear, you name it. A Weber kettle might be able to approximate some of those things, but you probably would have a lot of trouble achieving the same results. I've never used a kettle, and I hear they are pretty good for what they do, but I don't think they could quite cover as much ground as a ceramic cooker.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hiya Whitesnake,
    How about Abrams Main Battle Tank
    vs. Yugo
    Yes I am just a little partial them big green thingy's.
    Cheers,
    bruce[p]

• J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    The Whiz hit it on the head.

The difference in price will get you what The Whiz said, plus a cooker that is impervious to weather and carries a lifetime warranty (with a company that will be here for a long long time and who stands by their product.)

Brows this forum, you'll begin to see. Buy one, and you will understand.

Great food can be done on a basic Webber, I think because of the fact that it runs on charcoal, and also because of it's shape that radiates heat pretty evenly inside.

Also, the Egg comes with a one of a kind "The Naked Whiz", who is a great help and inspiration to all of us here getting more out of our investment than I ever thought possible. Thanks TNW!

Justin
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Dennis,
    The Egg can do anything your oven can do and better.Lasts a life time.What else can I say.

• Unknown
    Options
    Dennis,
    Cute chick vs. Hairy guy

• EgginHomerGA
    Options
    Dennis,
    Wow -- gotta love some of these comparisons. I own both - have had a Weber kettle for the last 23 years, and a large BGE for 9. The Weber is a great grill, but as this forum will show, there's a huge difference in grilling and barbequeing. I tried to think of something that the Weber does better, but so far all I've come up with is a quick burger or the like while the pulled pork is slow cooking on the Egg. Good luck with whatever you choose!

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Dennis,
    The Weber is for beginners and the Egg is for professional's[p]Chef Jerry

• clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    Options
    Dennis,[p]This forum frowns on product comparisons. Scroll all the way down below. "DO NOT POST confrontational messages, such as product comparisons. These always lead to chaos and disruption of the forum. Posts deemed to be confrontational, or in violation of any of the forum regulations, will be deleted."

• Unknown
    Options
    Dennis,[p]If you own a weber you are halfway home to getting an egg.[p]Dan

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Dennis,
    We own both but I've always thought of a Weber kettle as college and a BGE as graduate school.
    JCA

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Hmmmm . . . if I had a contrary mind I might interpret that as meaning that you need a graduate degree to operate an Egg while the Weber could be produce good food for a normal person . . . :>)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Dennis,[p]One of them is a high quality time tested design, very reliable, capable of grilling & barbecuing, has an internet support group, is easy to cook on and comes in several sizes. [p]The other one is green, requires the same skill to operate well, has the same attributes, but allows the resourceful cook to go a little farther down the road.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Dennis,[p]I am new to the whole Green Egg thing..and I have a Weber that I have had for 20+ years. I will give you my impressions as a total newbe...[p]I have used my Weber to grill, smoke, and even cook pizza. I have made my own inserts that allow me to keep the coals to one side of the kettle and so I can do indirect..[p]The real difference is temp control for me. With the Weber I either have to much or not enought coal. [p]I learned to do some pretty good things on the Weber..[p]Now the Egg...I have only had it a few days and I have already cooked several different things.....[p]Since the temp control is so easy...it is just plain easier to use the egg...[p]The food was "moist" and the steaks I cooked came out perfect...[p]If you think about it the difference is plain as the green egg on my face...[p]The egg is ceramic...therefore it holds heat..[p]The Weber isn't therefore a lot of wasted "heat" energy is lost...[p]I cook outdoors a lot and I can already tell that the Egg is a miser when it comes to fuel...[p]I would have already gone through a couple of 20lbs if I had been using my Weber..[p]I have only topped off the egg with coal...I can see where 20lbs will last a long time.[p]Is the Egg worth the money VS the Weber..[p]In my opinion yes..[p]Oh...and my 3000 dollar Stainless Steel Viking outdoor range has been given to my Nephew....
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dennis,
    There is NO comparison.[p]Dennis[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Dennis,
    Thank you for your advice. I have a Weber but I'm sold on the BGE and off to buy it today.

• Unknown
    Options
    Dennis,[p]GONGRATULATIONS! Be sure of one thing though...get a plate setter with it....you most definitely need one to cook slow.