Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firecraft's response to the Rockwood condition and my answer.

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    @stlcharcoal is the Mckinney, TX Ace Hardware able to get it 75069? 
    Yes.  I don't know if they have it in stock, but they are in the distribution region and have ordered bags in the past.  If you stop by there, can you let me know if they're stocking it?
  • Thanks @stlcharcoal  I'll be over that way today and I'll let you know.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    thetrim said:
    I want rockwood in Tampa.  I'm down to my last half bag of Fogo from a long ago great pic up at great price on Amazon.

Just go over to your local Ace and order SKU# 8400772.  Any dealer in FL can get it within a few days from their regional warehouse (yours happens to be in Tampa.)  Same availability goes for TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, MD, VA, WV, DE, DC, and some parts of TN, KY, PA, NJ, and OK.
    Time to bring it to the west lakes in the KC area!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    buzd504 said:
    All Kingsford briquettes right? ;)

• bhedges1987
    So, how did the first cook with it turn out?  Or did I look over where you said?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    buzd504 said:
    mine came last week and looked the same...no damage and no dust in box....very happy with firecraft and my Rockwood

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    buzd504 said:
    How many bags did you order there?

I see a lot of people just ordering 5 bags to get the free shipping but I'd rather order enough so that each box is firmly packed and less likely to shift all around.

So if I needed to order 7, 8, 9 bags or whatever to ensure each box is full  I'm down with that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    edited March 2016
    Don't know about the above, but I see three well packed Rockwood bags per pictured box.  Thus my standard order is for 6 bags-FWIW.
    Edit:  most shipments are 5 Rockwood and 1 bag of Basques Maple lump.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    So, how did the first cook with it turn out?  Or did I look over where you said?
    Not sure if you're asking me; I won't have a chance to use it for at least another week or two. Although I was ticked off when I saw it, when I calmed down I decided it wasn't right to assess a product that is meant to be burned by the way it looked; it should be judged by the way it burns. When I get a chance, I will absolutely add to the discussion.
  • HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:
    I want rockwood in Tampa.  I'm down to my last half bag of Fogo from a long ago great pic up at great price on Amazon.

Just go over to your local Ace and order SKU# 8400772.  Any dealer in FL can get it within a few days from their regional warehouse (yours happens to be in Tampa.)  Same availability goes for TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, MD, VA, WV, DE, DC, and some parts of TN, KY, PA, NJ, and OK.
    So am I reading that right - ANY Ace in Virginia will be able to get Rockwood into the store using that SKU#?
    If you are in Northern VA, Dizzy Pig in Manassas sells Rockwood. All I use anymore.
  • annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Very good. I am happy you sought to remedy the situation with them. If you believe the lump was bad, you should have accepted the refund. I am sure there are a lot of people who take advantage of retailers' return policy but that shouldn't prevent you from accepting justice for yourself.

Happy cooking.
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:

So am I reading that right - ANY Ace in Virginia will be able to get Rockwood into the store using that SKU#?
    If you are in Northern VA, Dizzy Pig in Manassas sells Rockwood. All I use anymore.
    I'm in Hampton Roads not NOVA. My daughter lives in Richmond and she has brought me a few bags that are available from a sausage store there. They only sell 10b pound bags tho for $15 each.  Rockwood is decent stuff but I didn't think it was worth that price.

Firecraft pricing is more attractive. But if I can get them on occasion from my neighborhood Ace I might be interested.

On the other hand, I'm quite content with Royal Oak but I do like to have a bag or two of other makes on hand just becuz.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    HeavyG said:
    buzd504 said:

I see a lot of people just ordering 5 bags to get the free shipping but I'd rather order enough so that each box is firmly packed and less likely to shift all around.

So if I needed to order 7, 8, 9 bags or whatever to ensure each box is full  I'm down with that.
    3 bags of Rockwood (1 box), 5 bags of Basques (2/3 in two boxes).  The box with 2 bags had air-filled plastic padding to fill it out.  All bags were in excellent condition.
    NOLA
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Jeremiah said:
    thetrim said:

Unless you live in western SC and your closest Ace is over an hour away. Then you resort to "underground" Rockwood dealers. Lol
    Or you make a trip over to the Evans, GA ACE across the river
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • HeavyG
    buzd504 said:
    HeavyG said:
    buzd504 said:

3 bags of Rockwood (1 box), 5 bags of Basques (2/3 in two boxes).  The box with 2 bags had air-filled plastic padding to fill it out.  All bags were in excellent condition.
    Thanks.

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited March 2016
    I've been looking for a new 'go to' lump after OO went out of business..

Tried Rockwood from Firecraft some time ago.

TINY (and I mean tiny) pieces and lots of dust.  5 bags of it.  A hundred bucks of tiny pieces and dust.

I really miss OO.  I ordered that also from Firecraft and it was totally different.  Lots of good sized pieces.

To those who say "it burns the same" - that's not the case when you have a Mini, and a bunch of tiny holes in the grate.

I need reasonably big pieces for the bottom and can't find that consistently with ANY lump (aside from FOGO, LOL) since OO went out of biz.  (Even my favorite RO is hit and miss - some bags are great, some total junk.  Really annoying to play "lump lotto" all the time).

Rockwood seems like an OK lump but I was really disappointed by the shipment from Firecraft.  It was literally "bags thrown in a box" and shipped..ZERO packaging.  No wonder it arrived beat to heck and nothing but tiny pieces and dust.

Hopefully they are shipping better nowdays.  If not, they need to get on it and start adding some basic packing material to prevent the lump from getting blasted to smithereens in shipping.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • I found this in my rockwood bag from firecraft today. This is an outrage!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Very good. I am happy you sought to remedy the situation with them. If you believe the lump was bad, you should have accepted the refund. I am sure there are a lot of people who take advantage of retailers' return policy but that shouldn't prevent you from accepting justice for yourself.

Happy cooking.
    Thank you. But the truth is that I don't believe the lump is bad. I don't know anything about it other than its appearance, and I'm not hanging it on the wall in a frame. Once I calmed down I agreed with those who were criticizing my rashness, and I will use it before I judge it. I only want a refund if the product doesn't perform, and I don't know whether it does or not. 

I got a lot of sh*t on my plate right now. Mary Joan's chemo has gone badly, I have to sue the guy who built our deck two years ago because it is sinking, and we have carpenter ants and can't find the nest. I am holding it all together on the crap that matters. The charcoal got a bit out of hand. Stuff happens.
  • stlcharcoal
    HeavyG said:
    I'm in Hampton Roads not NOVA. My daughter lives in Richmond and she has brought me a few bags that are available from a sausage store there. They only sell 10b pound bags tho for...  
    JM Stock in Richmond now has 20# bags.

Either way, any Ace Hardware around you can order the 20# bags and have them in a few days. 
  • bhedges1987
    HeavyG said:
    I'm in Hampton Roads not NOVA. My daughter lives in Richmond and she has brought me a few bags that are available from a sausage store there. They only sell 10b pound bags tho for...  

Either way, any Ace Hardware around you can order the 20# bags and have them in a few days. 
    Just around him? Or any one? KC area?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
     I got a lot of sh*t on my plate right now. Mary Joan's chemo has gone badly, I have to sue the guy who built our deck two years ago because it is sinking, and we have carpenter ants and can't find the nest. I am holding it all together on the crap that matters. The charcoal got a bit out of hand. Stuff happens.
    Sounds like you have more important matters then the Rockford to deal with. Prayers that the chemo goes better and the other crap doesn't get to you to badly.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    WGAF
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    WGAF
    ^^^^^ That. :s
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

@SmokyBear.... I'm still sitting on around 350 lbs of Ozark Oak.... Stocked with Rockwood also.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Expecting a flood or racoons?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• stlcharcoal
    HeavyG said:

Just around him? Or any one? KC area?
    No, just by him on the east coast.  There are four BBQ/hearth stores in KC with it.

Did you want that FB200?  Let me know.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    henapple said:

@SmokyBear.... I'm still sitting on around 350 lbs of Ozark Oak.... Stocked with Rockwood also.... 
    I see a garage invasion in your future.  B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Expecting a flood or racoons

A flood OF raccoons.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN