Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My BGE cover turns into a parachute when its windy...how do you secure it?

I have a BGE cover on my XL egg, which is just on a nest (no wings, no table). It's very windy today and the cover's acting like a parachute and wants to fly off the egg. Even tightening the cord doesn't do enough...am I missing some method of securing it?

XL Big Green Egg  |  Weber Summit 670  |  Meat

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2016
    Some weights from the fishing section of a sporting goods store? Perhaps a long rope around it? Just a couple of guesses?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited March 2016
    Look around a sporting goods store that has camping equipment and you should be able to find a non-damaging "grabber" that grips tents and tarps. They have a grommet in them that then would allow you to hook on a bungie cord. 2 grabbers and 1 bungie cord should be enough for you!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Or another permanent solution is to buy in inexpensive grommet maker. It is a simple tool and comes with metal male and female grommet halves. Just a hammer and a Exact-O knife and you're in businesses! 
  • elef3u
    elef3u Posts: 12
    RRP said:
    Or another permanent solution is to buy in inexpensive grommet maker. It is a simple tool and comes with metal male and female grommet halves. Just a hammer and a Exact-O knife and you're in businesses! 
    Oh nice, this might be the ticket. I wish the cord would tighten under the legs/above the wheels; if it did that it would be more secure. 

• RRP
    elef3u said:
    RRP said:
    Oh nice, this might be the ticket. I wish the cord would tighten under the legs/above the wheels; if it did that it would be more secure. 
    Then instead of a bungee cord which does stretch just measure the length needed and buy one of those heavy duty black rubber tarp straps like they use on semi-trucks. Those have very little give and come in many many lengths and are sold separately.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I have one for my large... In 4 years I've used it once. Best way to keep it from blowing away
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Use the Egg daily and toss the cover in the trash...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Put it in the garage 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Ron nailed it. Punch in about 4 grommets and lash to the nest. 

Or or clip it to a sandbag that can double as a weight to chock down the wheels. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• elef3u
    elef3u Posts: 12
    Dobie said:
    Just leave it off, its not needed. 
    Ha! I'm tempted to return it and get my $$$ back. I never used a cover on my large egg though, and after a couple years the green surface was completely covered in micro cracks. Only cosmetic, but was hoping to avoid that...

• Metzler
    Metzler Posts: 1

Put a knot in the cord and use the plastic clip to secure it to the nest. Pass the knot around the leg, then between the two cords, tighten the clip down to lock it in place. 
  • The BGE covers I have owned have seemed oversized for the Egg size they are designed to cover. We’re into buy another, I may consider trying a size down and see if that works. 
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 523
    Metzler said:

Put a knot in the cord and use the plastic clip to secure it to the nest. Pass the knot around the leg, then between the two cords, tighten the clip down to lock it in place. 
      Digging deep on this thread! Its ceramic. Covering it is just to make you feel happy....

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    small ratchet strap around the waist.  Quick easy and tightens enuff to take the wind out.

Columbus, Ohio
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I don’t bother. Squirrels chewed my first cover up. The second one fell apart. I gave up. 
    Michiana, South of the border.