Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Encrusted Prime Rib Roast

Earl
Earl Posts: 468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSCF0005.JPG
<p /> Thought we would try something different to-day, We have coated this 8.5lb baby in kosher salt & cook on the Egg at 2.25 for as long as it takes to get to 145.[p]Earl

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Earl,
    Didja get that beauty at the market you took me to?? That chunk of beef is all purtied up.
    Curious how it comes out. Gotta be good.
    Enjoy and hi to Barb.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    DSCF0007.JPG
    <p />Earl,[p] This is how it looked after we placed pepper, garlic & believe it or not some seasoning salt. We then covered the whole thing with salt. It has been Egging since 12:00 noon
    & temp of roast is at 127F. Should have started sooner, oh well, we eat late most nights anyway. Just not as late as we will be tonight.Hee Hee. will give you an update & one more picture later.[p]Earl

• GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    I'm planning to cook about a 12lb next week. I've seen cooking times vary in every receipe. Any idea? [p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Earl,[p]Thank goodness for pictures, I would not have been able to invision that much salt on it. I will be interested in how it turns out. What gave you the idea? Wonder if it will be salty :-0 ?[p]Tim
  • Earl
    DSCF0013.JPG
    <p />Tim M,[p] This was taken about 1hr ago, I had just removed it from the Egg & cleaned off as much salt as I could, with a paper towel.[p]Earl

• Earl
    DSCF0015.JPG
    <p /> Hope I don't upset anyone with all these pictures, only trying to show how things progressed during cooking. This is the final result & the meat was tender & juicy as it looks.
    Now for the down side. As I had suspected, the salt did stay on the outter layer of meat & I had read many places that it would not.It was not however, as strong as you would think & yes, we will do it again. I think the main purpose of the salt is to act as a seal for the meat & keep in the juice ,
    this worked very well. The total cooking time was 8hrs at a dome temp of 225F. The egg was at 300 when I started but I shut the vent & let it come down to 225. Again, 8.5lb , 4 bone in, prime rib.[p]Earl

• Earl
    gww,[p] If you have not picked up your roast yet, I suggest you go with a bone in. About 5 bones would have an approximate weight of 10-11 lbs. I have always used some kind of coating, like Char-crust or salt as you can see. I would cook at 350 for about 4hrs, or internal temp of 145 for med.
    Dr Chicken does a mean roast as well. He likes to sear his at a high temp, then cut down the temp. E-mail him ,I'm sure he will be more than happy to help,as well. Don't worry to much, the only thing that may go wrong is that it will not be done when you want. then just crank up the heat to move thing along.[p]Earl

• Earl,[p]I read your salt encrusted prime rib roast with such enthusiam. I felt I have to let you know some secrets that wil make this dish much better. YOu will be able to take off the salt completely from the meat without making the meat saltier.[p]Here's the trick. You must add an egg white, beat lightly to a froth, then add 1 1/2 pound of kosher salt. Mix them to form a paste. Now, you can cover your meat with the salt mixture. After it is cooked, when you break the salt mixture, there is very little that will adhere to the meat. Take a brush and brush off the little salt left off the meat. Presto, your meat will not be salty.[p]Hope this helps. Enjoy reading your posts and everybody else.

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    gww,
    I just did a bone-in rib roast. I powdered it with garlic powder, sprinkled it with salt (not much, bride's got a heart condition), and pepper. I seared it on a very hot cast iron griddle on all sides, much smoke was made so next time I'll do it on the gas grill's outside burner! Then I put it in at 350 degrees until the polder read 136 degrees. I pulled it out and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing. It was the best prime rib we've ever eaten!!! Life is good...

• Earl
    Bian,[p] Thanks, I will try that next time, most likely just after New Yew. I got the info from the web some time ago & it sounded good.[p]Earl
  • Earl,[p]I forgot to tell you to let the meat rest 10 minutes before
    slicing, that way, all the juices inside the meat will settle and will not come out much while slicing it.[p]Bian

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Earl,
    Yummy Looking. I have only done one Prime Rib and it was the best that I have ever had. After I made it, I posted a sauce recipe for the Prime Rib, give it a try and let me know what you think.[p]The pictures of the process were great and helped me understand the salt Encrusting.[p]

[ul][li]Horseradish Sauce for Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Earl,
    I am so glad to see this on the forum! I just ordered a big prime rib and plan to egg it for Christmas dinner. Thank you for all the photos!

• Earl
    suzunit,[p] More than happy to help out. Have you made up you mind as to the method you plan on. I have tried prime rib more that once, love it.[p]Earl