Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another Pizza question....

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning, I hate to rehash this topic but we would like to try doing pizza in the green cooker today...[p]I was just scaleing through the last thread and have come to the conclusion that a two stones are better than one........I only have one![p]Here is my situation and I would like to know if i can pull it off or should I wait till I get the other stuff mentioned...[p]Can I use the invered v rack, placing the BGE brand pizza stone directly on it due to the fact I don`t have any firebricks..
That should raise the stone to almost lip level....
Maintain dome temp at 550deg with botton vent wide open using the top slider to control the temp.....
Use a bit of corn meal on the homemade peel and a sprinkle on the stone.......Slide the pie onto the stone....still controlling the temp via the top vent and remove pie after 6 minutes.....
With this in mind is it possible to make the pie or am I just wasting my time and food....[p]Mop!

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mop:[p]I gather you do not have a plate setter. A plate setter in conjunction with a pizza stone will act as two pizza stones and give you the elevation you need to conveniently place and remove the pie. You need a sturdy surface for the pizza stone to set on so if you do not have one, I would wait till you can get one.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop,
    I only have one stone, and have had great luck....not burning one yet. All I do is set up some firebricks in a Y pattern, and set my stone on top. I preheat it at 500-550, and cook a 12-14 inch pie in about 12 minutes. Some don't preheat the stones, some use two, some use platesetter/stone combo. [p]I say give it a whirl with what you have, and see how it works for you. [p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    bbac2.jpg
    <p />Mop,[p]Hmmm, sounds like you might have to experiment with that combination to see if it works. I have some comments but only a tiny bit of experience with only 1 ceramic mass for pizza. I prefer the plate setter/pizza stone combo myself and I find it is almost impossible for me to burn a crust. It becomes rock hard but won't burn. I have also had the same results with the firebricks/pizza stone combo. And I know many use 2 stones stacked. [p]I once tried a Boboli crust on the BGE stone which was on a BGE raised Grid. The therory was that by raising the level of the stone to get it farther from the fire might slow down the heating of the stone. It didn't burn the crust but it certainly would have. I never tried it a second time because the regular pies just come out to perectly the other ways. It sounds like your setup will be almost the same. My guess is that you need a touch more barrier, maybe you could add a pizza pan under the Vrack to act as a diffuser. I also would not let the stone preheat since it will get pleanty hot fast enough and you want it to heat slowly to allow the toppings to cook. I would also suggest you go easy on toppings and sauce. You need the top to cook pretty fast because the bottom will be cooking pretty fast. Don't try lowering the temp - 550 to 600 is needed to cook the toppings correctly. [p]The picture shows the setup for firebrick. Just set the stone on top and slide on Mr. Pie. You could omit the 5th brick if you wanted to and just use 4.[p]
    Let us know how it works out.[p]Tim

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Tim M,, thanks....the problem is that I don`t have any firebricks....
    I`ll put a pan of some sort under the rack to diffuse the heat a bit more.....
    Mop!

• Tim M
    Options
    Mop,[p]I knew you didn't have firebricks but they are pretty easy to find - more so than a setter which comes directly from BGE in Atlanta. Call a couple of fireplace stores or woodstove stores to see if they have firebricks. You won't find them at the local hardware stores. Maybe brickyards too. [p]Good luck - let us know how it comes out. Nothing wrong with a store bought crust for your first pie too. [p]Tim
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Tim M, and MOP - You can buy those firebricks at Menards. They come 6 to a box and run about $10.00

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M
    Options
    RRP,
    What kind of store is Menards? None around here.[p]Tim

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Tim M, Menards is a home improvement chain like Lowes & Home Depot. I'm back here in the midwest. Since I posted that message an hour or two ago I was at Menards and checked the price for sure and it was $8.99. Good luck at finding some retail that carries such. Personally, I use a BGE plate sitter and stone for pizza, but these fire bricks for other indirect applications.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP, Call your local brick company. I bought 5 today at a cost of $3.38. You might even find them with someone who does masonary fireplaces.