Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware SS vented chimney cap

2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited March 2016
    Jeremiah said:
    MotownVol said:
    How do you keep them clean?   Do you put them inside the egg when doing a high temp burn, or use a grease cutting cleaner?
    I believe @RRP said something about some type of oven cleaner a while back. 
    I asked the same question a week or two ago,I can't remember who told me to soak in household ammonia for 24 hours but I tried it and it worked perfectly,my daisy wheel was super gummy as it had never been cleaned.24 hours in ammonia and it was like new
    It would have been me who recommended  the 24 soak in ammonia for your gunked up daisy wheel, but oven cleaner is fine and easy to use in a shorter period of time for the SmokeWare.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    (lol)..while you kid around there..I may be one of the few who doesn't pick one up for the simple contrast between the two materials and who will probably 'suffer' through the wheel for fashion. Love the story though. It should be taught to every schoolchild in America along with others on here for obvious reasons.

@eggzellent I agree, the black cast iron looks better on the egg than the stainless cap
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    blind99 said:
    (lol)..while you kid around there..I may be one of the few who doesn't pick one up for the simple contrast between the two materials and who will probably 'suffer' through the wheel for fashion. Love the story though. It should be taught to every schoolchild in America along with others on here for obvious reasons.

@eggzellent I agree, the black cast iron looks better on the egg than the stainless cap
    Please note that @blind99 lives above I-80 in Illinois ... those folks see things differently than the rest of the state!  :)

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    blind99 said:

Please note that @blind99 lives above I-80 in Illinois ... those folks see things differently than the rest of the state!  :)
    I've heard that joke about a thousand times, but not until now has it ever been applied to those above the I-80 line. Nice try. Where is @blind99 ?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

@jeepster47 I put mine on a few days ago.  it's so darned shiny, it sticks out like a sore thumb!  i'll get used to it.  seems really well made.  @pgprescott northern suburbs of Chicago... don't forget it's election day in Illinois tomorrow.  vote early and vote often!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    buzd504 said:
    I ran one egg with the seal on the cap and one with it on the egg.  My preference is with it on the egg.  It's easier to clean the cap with no seal on it.  I don't remove the base of the cap except to clean it ... thus, the seal is captured between the cap base and the egg even when going nuclear.

Clean the cap?
    You ugly daisy wheel users wouldn't understand how nice things look when they're clean!

How dare you call me ugly!
    NOLA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    blind99 said:

@jeepster47 I put mine on a few days ago.  it's so darned shiny, it sticks out like a sore thumb!  i'll get used to it.  seems really well made.  @pgprescott northern suburbs of Chicago... don't forget it's election day in Illinois tomorrow.  vote early and vote often!

Been voting all week.  Much easier with absentee ballots. 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP said: 
    I just clean when really gross using Easy Off Oven spray - just do it outside as the fumes are strong but very effective. 
    ...Cleans up like brand new!
    Do you have a gasket installed on the inside? And if so, do you just avoid spraying it down on the inside with Easy Off?

I ask because I've never cleaned mine. It's good & gunky, and provides a great seal. One of these days, I'll need to clean it out, however, and I'm wondering if the gasket is a concern.
    I was one of the early ones to promote placing the gasket inside the SmokeWare vs. on the egg dome itself which is the way SW instructions suggest. This is one of those chicken and egg arguments so suit yourself. Either way then in time that junky creosote will mess up the gasket appearance-wise. I still like mine inside on the cap itself.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever had a fire go out due to rain coming in through the daisy wheel? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever had a fire go out due to rain coming in through the daisy wheel? 
    Stop it with your rational arguments!  I never have, never heard of it either. 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Been kicking around these parts for 16 years now and I don't recall such a reported instance. Just the same I still like the purdy SmokeWare cap over Miss Daisy, but to each his own.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    It wasn't the fire going out that sent me to investigate the SW cap, but the rain and grime dripping down on my chicken.  No good ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I hated the daisy wheel ceramic cap combo. Bought a SW cap a couple of years ago.  Never cleaned it.  Gasket is on the egg chimney. I don't do clean burns either. It's all worked well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    While I don't see that as possible really (and I presume was tongue in cheek), I do wonder how the SW cap is not more suceptable to wind gust issues having the holes on the vertical portion.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    stompbox said:
    While I don't see that as possible really (and I presume was tongue in cheek), I do wonder how the SW cap is not more suceptable to wind gust issues having the holes on the vertical portion.
    I would think the daisy wheel would be more susceptible.   The wind going across the open face will create an area of low pressure causing more of a draft through the egg.  Pulling a lot more oxygen directly up into the firebox.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Don't put the cap inside the egg during a clean burn.  It will destroy the SS finish!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    stompbox said:
    I would think the daisy wheel would be more susceptible.   The wind going across the open face will create an area of low pressure causing more of a draft through the egg.  Pulling a lot more oxygen directly up into the firebox.
    With the next obvious question being..what is preferable..a steady draw or turbulence in more extreme conditions.
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Never had a fire go out, but have had a brisket get a large bark free "bald" spot due to rain
    Austin, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited March 2016
    Yes I have.  That is what prompted me to get a smokeware cap.  We get some very intense rain showers down here in south Florida. The egg has been through many a rain shower with the daisy wheel on without a problem.  One day the afternoon shower was an intense one and it put the fire out.  

Edit:  If memory serves me correctly, I may have been cooking without the daisy wheel on at the time.  I have one of the older versions of the daisy wheel (SFMT not the DFMT).  I tended to cook without the daisy wheel on.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Only once and it was a TS so there ya go.
    Tropical Storm
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • It rained in Austin?
    Eggpharmer said:
    Never had a fire go out, but have had a brisket get a large bark free "bald" spot due to rain

League City, TX - XL & Med
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Is there way to set up the seal so you can use either the SW cap or the daisy wheell?
  • pgprescott
    Powak said:
    Is there way to set up the seal so you can use either the SW cap or the daisy wheell?
    It is not an issue. Either way works. The new eggs come with a gasket installed on the neck of the exhaust chimney. You can interchange the two devices of you like. 
  • Powak
    Powak said:
    It is not an issue. Either way works. The new eggs come with a gasket installed on the neck of the exhaust chimney. You can interchange the two devices of you like. 

• Powak
    Powak said:
    Did the old eggs come with the gasket installed in the cast iron daisy wheel housing instead?
  • pgprescott
    Powak said:
    Powak said:
    Did the old eggs come with the gasket installed in the cast iron daisy wheel housing instead?
    No. They started that practice to prevent the CI daisy wheels and the ceramic tops from falling off and breaking either by the lid being whipped open or when removing the cover. Just so happens it sets you up for a SW cap.