Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone know about 3-gun competitions?

Options
Chicklet
Chicklet Posts: 205
I watched a show about 3-gun competitions specifically for women and I am intrigued.  It just looks like something I'd love to do.  
My dad teaches folks how to shoot shotguns / skeet about what he knows about 3-guns and he said, "Yeah, it is for folks that can't afford 4 guns."  Silly dad.  He makes an excellent point.  It doesn't look like a cheap sport.  

I looked online for some groups in my area and didn't see much but I'd love to give it a try.  I think I'd actually be pretty decent at it.  Not a pro by any stretch but it looks like a great way to blow off some steam training for it and something to do with the man too.  

meredith
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    I have friends who compete.   Like all things it can be taken to the extremes, but doesn't have to be expensive to be enjoyed.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Take a look at Katie Frances in this sample video.  There are lots of YouTube videos of her competing ... where she really kicks butt. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Dq9YGDX3Q

She is/was trained by her dad - who also competes - and entered her first competition when she was 12.  Think she is still the only juvenile female in competition.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    She is a BMF. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Gun thread... I hear the buffaloes 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Wowzers. My little girl saw the video and said "holy cow! See it again!"
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Chicklet
    Options
    Great video.  I think she was also on one of the shows I saw about the sport.  
    I did some shooting this weekend and I will definitely need some coaching with the rifle.  I've shot a shotgun and shot skeet a bit and feel comfy with it but the rifle is weird for me.  I'm a lefty and the shells eject right in my line of sight.  I can get a lefty set up but I really like how it set up other than that little issue.
    My plan is to go to a few pistol matches in May and see how it goes.  I have a feeling I'll love it.  

BTW...anyone shoot a Glock 17?  What do you love about it?  I have shot one a few times and like it but never shot it with the intent to buy one.  A lot of the shooters use this because it is durable and can be customizable pretty easily.  
    I'm a Sig girl and have been shooting a 226 for years that I am very comfortable with but would hate to bang it all up. 

I can already see how this could be a very expensive hobby!  Why can't I just knit or something?  

m
    Eat, drink and be merry

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @Chicklet  take a look at this. It's a great inexpensive entry level for 3G. Just my 2 but go to a local practice or event. Most folks their are awesome and they can help you and let you try different things out. If this is something you are interested in talk to some local competitors . There are lots of rules, most for safety, you want to look at a striker-fire or non-hammered weapon for "clearing" purposes during the shoot. The 17 is a fine starter as well. Have fun and be safe
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_834559_-1_757900_757896_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Chicklet
    Options
    thanks @RiverDoc.  The Man works at the big gun shop from time to time and I'll see if they have one I can try.  I have a S&W Shield but I do not care for it much because it has a heavy trigger.  It is my CC but not what I would want to use to compete.  

Hoping to get to the range to watch a match or two soon.  
    Eat, drink and be merry