Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware SS vented chimney cap

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391

I'm thinking about getting one of these for crappy weather smokes. Does anyone know if they work with the felt seal that's already installed on the egg?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Take the factory gasket off, not needed. Apply the included gasket to the interior of the chimney cap neck.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    They do.

You'll find Eggers will mostly recommend you remove that seal and install it instead on the inside of the cap itself, so that you can remove the unit cleanly when going into the upper temperature range... which will prevent burning the felt gasket.

I still have my gasket installed on the neck of the Egg with my SW cap. If & when it burns off, I'll place a new one on the cap.

There's lots of info on this in the forums if you search around.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Powak
    Options
    So do these rigs work better than the daisy wheel vent that came with the egg? How do you search thru the forum? I'm using iPhone and can't find the search box.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I like my SS better. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    I prefer the SW cap myself ...

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Powak
    Options

What's the difference between the SW and the SS?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have the smokeware cap and I love it.  I'm really tempted to get the newer model though.
    NOLA
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    Works great - rain or snow, I have had no issues with the smokeware cap.

As stated above, not need to keep the gasket you originally had on the neck.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Powak
    Options
    Looks like it shuts the grill down too when done. Can't beat that.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Powak said:
    What's the difference between the SW and the SS?
    SW = Smokeware cap.  It is the one you were referring too. It is stainless.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Agree w/ @Ozzie_Isaac
    @HuddleHouseCook Dialing in his MM. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Lots and lots of SW fans on this forum! Been a fan now going on 4 years and have never once reverted to the daisy! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Just got mine and installed it today. The original gasket wasn't thick enough to keep the new cap on so I ripped it off, cleaned a little, and put the new one on my egg. I didn't do it on the inside of the cap like others have done. It comes with new gasket. 

Main problem is I'll have to get used to new vent settings. But cooking more is not a negative. 

The cap seems well made. I like that it doesn't swing around when I open the top. That's one cook in, FWIW. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    They really suck! but you need to spend the money!! so get one and send it to me!!! Ok it's worth the money you will not be disappointed............. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I ran one egg with the seal on the cap and one with it on the egg.  My preference is with it on the egg.  It's easier to clean the cap with no seal on it.  I don't remove the base of the cap except to clean it ... thus, the seal is captured between the cap base and the egg even when going nuclear.

I also prefer the Rutland seal from Ace Hardware ... the one with the peel and stick adhesive attached.  I had some concerns with it not staying in place due to high heat, but since it's captured in place that has never been a problem.  It's a little thicker than the OEM seal and holds the base in place a little tighter.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Yeah the Smokeware cap works awesome! Never had an issue other than the learning curve of how much I should have it open vs the daisy wheel. I am for the felt to be on the egg as I put my Smokeware cap in the dishwasher from time to time to give it a good clean. Obviously if you did this with the felt on the inside of the cap you would be replacing it often.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Careful! Better straighten out the accent rug. Don't want you to trip in an altered state of egging. Nice little corner of paradise!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I ran one egg with the seal on the cap and one with it on the egg.  My preference is with it on the egg.  It's easier to clean the cap with no seal on it.  I don't remove the base of the cap except to clean it ... thus, the seal is captured between the cap base and the egg even when going nuclear.

Clean the cap?
    NOLA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Clean the cap?
    You ugly daisy wheel users wouldn't understand how nice things look when they're clean!

However, remember those discussions about how tight the air seal is on the cap when it gets a little gunk on it?  Will, I had to adjust my settings for a really low-n-slow cook right after I cleaned it ... cleaned all the gunk out and that changed the airflow on my egg that has to have the cap closed to achieve low temps.  Might have to finally change the egg seal if I'm going to clean it again. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Can't beat the SW cap. Just keep it clean; don't let it overly gunk up cuz eventually you will not be able to adjust it:
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    How do you keep them clean?   Do you put them inside the egg when doing a high temp burn, or use a grease cutting cleaner?
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have one on my XL, it does not seem to "snuff" the grill as well as the green one that came with the Egg, so I keep that one around.  Personally I don't think it performs any better than the daisy wheel, but I feel better about it in bad weather.  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    How do you keep them clean?   Do you put them inside the egg when doing a high temp burn, or use a grease cutting cleaner?
    I believe @RRP said something about some type of oven cleaner a while back. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    MotownVol said:
    yuppers - I just clean when really gross using Easy Off Oven spray - just do it outside as the fumes are strong but very effective. 

Cleans up like brand new!

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Just put it in the dishwasher! :)
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I have one on my XL, it does not seem to "snuff" the grill as well as the green one that came with the Egg, so I keep that one around.  Personally I don't think it performs any better than the daisy wheel, but I feel better about it in bad weather.  
    I use one of their snuffer caps.  Works just as well as the green cap.  If you don't want to buy one of the SW snuffers just cut a wood disk that fits inside the stainless base and use that when you want to snuff the fire out.
  • RRP
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I use one of their snuffer caps.  Works just as well as the green cap.  If you don't want to buy one of the SW snuffers just cut a wood disk that fits inside the stainless base and use that when you want to snuff the fire out.
    Correct-O, but aren't you going to give your dear old dad (@Jeepster47) credit for the design let alone idea which Matt then took and ran with with your Father's blessings? Here's a wooden one I made.

and here's the metal one that Matt sells following your Dad's prototype.

• Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You ugly daisy wheel users wouldn't understand how nice things look when they're clean!
    (lol)..while you kid around there..I may be one of the few who doesn't pick one up for the simple contrast between the two materials and who will probably 'suffer' through the wheel for fashion. Love the story though. It should be taught to every schoolchild in America along with others on here for obvious reasons.

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    RRP said: 
    I just clean when really gross using Easy Off Oven spray - just do it outside as the fumes are strong but very effective. 
    ...Cleans up like brand new!
    Do you have a gasket installed on the inside? And if so, do you just avoid spraying it down on the inside with Easy Off?

I ask because I've never cleaned mine. It's good & gunky, and provides a great seal. One of these days, I'll need to clean it out, however, and I'm wondering if the gasket is a concern.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    MotownVol said:
    I asked the same question a week or two ago,I can't remember who told me to soak in household ammonia for 24 hours but I tried it and it worked perfectly,my daisy wheel was super gummy as it had never been cleaned.24 hours in ammonia and it was like new