Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Store Bought Pizza Dough?

I did a search and didn't see any recent threads on this and I am cooking some pizzas tonight so wanted to get some recommendations.  I haven't had great success with the Publix pizza dough.  Do you have any other recommendations?  I have a Kroger and a Publix relatively close to me.  I tried to buy dough from Mellow Mushroom last night but they said they cannot sell me any food raw.  Any of the frozen ones good?  Or the Pilsbury one in a can?

Comments

• Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    Wal Mart has dough in a bag where they keep the market fresh pizzas. It's OK. I go to my local pizzeria and get dough from them
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Go to a pizza restaurant and buy a few dough balls that have already been cold fermented. (Mellow may have their own policies or maybe I just know the right people :wink: ).  A lot of places will sell their dough. Most big box warehouse style places sell premade dough balls....Sam's Club, Costco, BJs etc. Why not just make it yourself?  If you're in a time crunch I get it. But, just a thought....make a few dough balls and freeze for the next time. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Trader Joe's regular is good, but not a fan of their whole wheat or herb dough.

Agree with recommendations to try a pizza place 
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
     Trader Joe's is decent. I'm not a fan of the Pillsbury dough in a can though.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    I've had good luck with Trader Joe's. Both times I've used it, it went well. I used dough from a local pizza joint that cost me 4-5 times what TJ's did, and I ended up screwing up the pies. So I'll stick with TJ's.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Because I am lazy, I buy the store bought dough. King supers (Kroger) had a great dough but they stopped selling it. Now I go to safeway and it is pretty good. The key, imo, to using store bought dough is cooking it in the cast iron. I wont do it any other way anymore. Even my wife, who doesn't "like" pizza will now occasionally request pizza for dinner.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If you get a chance you might call around to some pizza places.  I agree the Trader Joes is good. 

FWIW Publix isn't bad if you just let it sit out for a while.  I have found it needs to sit at room temp much longer than what it says on the bag.  Leave it on the counter for an hour or so.  Also don't cook over 500 degrees with Publix dough. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Trader Joe's is good and if you have a Papa Murphy's near you they I have been told will sell just their dough as well.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Publix is pretty good too.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnl350
    johnl350 Posts: 125
    Thanks for all the replies.  I am going to try another local pizza place (Fellini's) on the way home and if they won't sell me dough, I'll go to the store and try Publix dough again.  Thanks again for all the help!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have one store here (a local chain) that makes pretty good dough so when I don't feel like making my own, or it's a last minute thing, I shop there. They always have the date it was made on the label so I try to get a ball that's at least 2-3 days old. Not always possible though. If all they had was made today, ideally, I'd take it home and throw it in the fridge for a day or two. If that's not possible, I just suck it up and use it as is.

If I were buying from a local pizza joint, and wanted to use it today, I'd just ask for some that was made 1-3 days ago.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I make my own and it's very easy. This recipe is for a half sheet pan like you'd have at home.
    3 3/4 cups AP flour
    1 1/2 cups luke warm water (not warm enough to be uncomfortable on the  back of your hand but not cold)
    1 1/2 packages yeast (I like Fleischmann pizza yeast but any will do)
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    3 tbsp. vegetable oil

I use a stand mixer with a dough hook but that is not mandatory. You can use your hands, I don't know that I would try this with a hand mixer though.

Mix the flour with the salt in a large mixing bowl

Dissolve the yeast and sugar into the warm water and stir well with a fork or small whisk

Combine the flour and yeast-sugar water and mix well

Add the vegetable oil and mix it well into the dough

Knead the dough until it's just a touch sticky

Form it into a ball and rub it with a little extra oil so it wont stick

Place it into the mixing bowl or a clean bowl cover with a damp kitchen towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot.

Walk away...

In two hours or so you should have a nicely risen dough ball.

Knead it again and make two small thin pies or one big Sicilian style pie (my fam loves that style)

Just remember * the water cannot be too hot (it will kill the yeast)
                            * Mix in the oil after the water has been mixed into the flour

You can make this in the morning and let it sit til dinner time if you like and this recipe would easily make four or five personal size pizzas for kids or appetizers

I make this usually weekly in the winter time

Good luck!!!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• Noticed the comment above not to go above 500 with Publix.   Generally speaking, is there any concerns or things to be aware of with store-bought vs made at home dough?   Cook time, etc?     I've seen the bagged at Wal Mart but wasn't sure how good that would be.   I called around to a few local pizza places and most of them charge almost as much as an actual pizza, which seems a bit high to me.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Sams club. One ball makes two egg stone size pizzas. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Noticed the comment above not to go above 500 with Publix.   Generally speaking, is there any concerns or things to be aware of with store-bought vs made at home dough?   Cook time, etc?     
    I've never had great luck with store bought, I've found the bottom always burns too easily compared to the top getting properly done.  I started making my own a few years ago and wouldn't have it any other way now.  And it so easy if you have a KitchenAid or similar mixer.  I make really wet doughs so I can crank it up to 700 F. +   I like the finished product better that way.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    The guys and gals over at the pizza making forum are pretty high on the Whole Foods dough balls.  I've used it and it's very good.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Sams club. One ball makes two egg stone size pizzas. 
    @milesvdustin  does SAMs sell frozen or fresh from where they do there pizzas?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    If you get a chance you might call around to some pizza places.  I agree the Trader Joes is good. 

FWIW Publix isn't bad if you just let it sit out for a while.  I have found it needs to sit at room temp much longer than what it says on the bag.  Leave it on the counter for an hour or so.  Also don't cook over 500 degrees with Publix dough. 
    Adding to this, publix (for me) is solid for oven cooks, ok for egg cooked pizza. Is solid for both when doin calzones.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Noticed the comment above not to go above 500 with Publix.   Generally speaking, is there any concerns or things to be aware of with store-bought vs made at home dough?   Cook time, etc?     I've seen the bagged at Wal Mart but wasn't sure how good that would be.   I called around to a few local pizza places and most of them charge almost as much as an actual pizza, which seems a bit high to me.
    i once read that higher temps arent favorable with some of the store bought ones due to higher sugar content but i cant for the life of me remember where i read it.  i tend to keep mine in the 500 range
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @bigdaddydivo What's the hydration ratio on your recipe?  And could you explain what the difference is between pizza yeast vs regular bread yeast from Fleischmann's.  I've always either used regular bread yeast or a starter. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Same as above. I like trader joes dough, but I need it at the last minute when I haven't made my own and it's cold. It needs to warm up. 

In the time it takes to get the egg heated up and toppings ready it's not much of a stretch to make some dough. The forno bravo recipe is a good starting point and if it's a little sticky for your liking you can add a little extra flour. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Anyone ever try Tiseo's dough?  I bought it frozen at Meijer's and have yet to try it.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    You were not asking about home made, but I'm a non conformist.

I make a no-knead pizza dough, and I can make it quicker than you could go through the check out with your store bought.  It should be made the day before, but it is really ridiculously easy.  Takes well under 5 minutes, and that includes getting the ingredients out.
    Phoenix 
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    blasting said:
    You were not asking about home made, but I'm a non conformist.

I make a no-knead pizza dough, and I can make it quicker than you could go through the check out with your store bought.  It should be made the day before, but it is really ridiculously easy.  Takes well under 5 minutes, and that includes getting the ingredients out.
    Please share. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Wholefoods has some good pre-made dough balls 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • johnl350
    johnl350 Posts: 125
    Ended up being able to get the dough from a local pizza joint(fellinis). Turned out fantastic!! Pics are out of order because I'm posting from my iPhone but thanks again for everyone's advice!!  
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    teeter has oo dough balls along with std & whole wheat
  • Wholefoods. $3. Will make two pizzas