Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disaster steak

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I had this 1 year old (foodsavered) 2" thick NY Strip steak that at the last minute, I tried quick defrosting in a bowl of water while I got the egg ready.  Egg was ready too soon...so I slowed it down until I thought the steak was defrosted.  Got the egg back up to around 600F, seared it 90s on each side and pulled it off to let the egg cool down.  My 10yo son had said he was interested in learning about the grill, so he'd been watching/helping.  I went to show him how searing it only cooked the outside, and tried sticking my thermapen into it...and found I couldn't get far, and it was reading 30F :(  I was worried I'd wrecked it...briefly considered resealing it, sous vide finishing it (which I'd guessed might take another 2 hours), and eating something else.

I got the egg down to around 400F and gave it another 6min or so on each side, then removed it and let it rest while I helped the kids toast a few marshmallows over the egg.  It actually turned out reasonably good...especially considering it sat in the freezer for a year.  It had "the good fat" along the edge...the sort that just melts in your mouth releasing flavor as you chew.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a disaster. For a second I thought you were going to tell us your son got burned. That would be a real disaster! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    If it tasted good I'd say it was far from a disaster steak. I'm not going to lie,  I came into this thread expecting to be Devastated!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    My only disaster is pizza. Need to practice more.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sounds like it turned out fine.  FWIW if I have frozen steaks I find that a reverse sear or sous vide then sear works great for timing.   I prefer a reverse sear but usually sous vide out of laziness especially if they are already vac sealed.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options

Sometimes you have to call the audible.

Good save!

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Sounds like salvaged steak to me. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You saw the line up and called it...Omaha Omaha!  Good work...no failure as I see it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I can see the kids around the egg with marshmallows.  A win all the way around brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Thread on here less than a week ago mentions Cook's Illustrated's method of cooking steaks from frozen

would probably have worked better for you to reverse sear. Go low and then go high
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I haven't seen the Cook's Illustrated thing about cooking steak from frozen.  I thought that was generally a no-no, as "you can't get the inside done without the outside ending up way overdone", but I found that not to be the case.  At least in this case where the outside was thawed, but the inside was still just frozen.

The kids love toasting marshmallows over the egg.  It's a little cramped up over the chimney, but it really focus's the heat.