Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confession time.

ChefRD
ChefRD Posts: 438
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok everyone, how did we do today? If you tried something new, different, or unique today how about letting others know about it? Maybe we can make the next holiday the best eats yet! (if possible :))
I brined a 12# bird using John Ash's brine for about 60 hours before cooking at 300* for about 4 hours. The polder in the thigh measured about 170* but the leg joint wiggled easily and the turkey was done.
I cooked it indirect in a rack, over an aluminum pan, sitting on three bricks to shield the bottom. For wood I added three small pieces of cherry to the lump.
This was my first attempt using John Ash's method (thanks Cat!) and I would definitely call it a success. The general comments were that it was moist and slightly sweet.
Personally I think I slightly overcooked it, as the skin was tough and the meat was shrunk back from the legs more than I thougt was usual.
But is was VERY moist down near the breast bone and quite tasty.
So I would rate it about an 8 or a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.
So thats my story for today, whats yours?? ;)
later,
ChefRD

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    ChefRD, We almost twin cooked but mine were two 12 lb whole turkey breasts (body less drums and wings) side by side, backside topside in my V roasting rack. Over drip pans and my trusty triple firebricks. Roasting rack was on my suspended second grill. This put the birds right to the top near the dome, but my thermometer fit right in between the birds. Worked good. A full pork loin cut in two, sandwiched and tied cooked in the small BGE. Both went in a 9:30, and the loin came out at 12:30, perfectly done, foil and towel wrapped and stayed in the closed microwave till meal time. Birds were done a 1:30 on the money. 4 hours at 350F[p]I used the simple brine, kosher salt, dark brown sugar, bruised garlic cloves, and bay leaf. Excellent hint of salt to the meat, and not over sweet. I was afraid of the "Ash" method for the sweet part reasoning. I am sure its a good brine and look forward to more reports on it. I stuck with my more tried and true simple brine. I think Cat or (?) first posted it many yar's ago. That was waaaaaaaaaay back in 1997 or 98.
    Air drying the birds in the fridge overnight worked very well again. I did one thing out of the ordinary this year and basted the birds with peanut oil after 1/2 hour or so (who counts) in the smoke. I will do that again.

Here's to ya....and see ya all around the corner somewhere.
    BTW..I cannot download e.mails due to a severe malfunction at Prodigy.net.
    Been 24 hours now and counting.[p]Char-Woody (stuffed and still smokin)[p]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Char-Woody,
    Hello!! and good to talk to you again. I remember we also cooked the same way back in '97 or'98 when the bricks were a novelty item. (MY, how time flies.)
    I didn't mean to imply the birds were "sweet", but a couple of people mentioned it, but I personally didn't notice it.
    What did the peanut oil rub do after 30 minutes of smoke? Crisp up the skin? Mine was tough today and I used olive oil only before cooking, maybe for xmas I'll do the 30 minute later rub.
    Happy turkey day to ya
    ChefRD.

• Char-Woody
    ChefRD, exactly, it works about like olive oil to give that nice golden crispier skin. And it gives just a hint of peanut taste, similiar to the Hot deep fat fried bucket turkey done in peanut oils. Just did it on a whim and turned out very good. Just basted one time. I was perking at 400F when I ended the cook. Turkey out at 167F and foil wrapped for 15-20 minutes. Beautiful, juicy.
    Great eating today, and like all the other times its hard to think it can or will get better, but the next time, it does. Or does memory fade?
    :-)...
    Dang "Time Flies When your eating Toads"..or (?) How does that go again? Mr.Toad, where are you?
    C~W[p]

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    ChefRD,
    Did a 14 pounder 6 hrs @ 275-300. Brined it overnight, peanut oil and charcrust. Turned out great. The char crust made it a little on the black side though. Worried everyone. They had no faith. tstick

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    char-woody, we might just as well face it woodrow - at our age time just flies[p]i brined the turkey for 24 hours - stuffed it with apples cut in half - used apple wood soaked overnight in apple juice and basted the bird every hour with apple juice - very very nice - will repeat at christmas[p]
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    ChefRD,[p]I did a 14 pounder brined for 18 hours in a FoodTV brine.
    I was going to use the vertical roaster, but I had lots o' stuff to put in the cavity (Onion chunks, apple chunks, a cinnamon stick, 3 rosemary sprigs, 4 sage leaves) so I ended up using the v-rack with no drip pan.
    Cooked at about 380* for a scant 2 hours and 15 minutes until the Polder read 161* in the breast. This is the first time that I removed a turkey with the breast temp that low. I removed it, wrapped it in foil, and let it rest for 40 minutes. The bird was done just right throughout. Whew![p]Final thoughts? I may add the "Cavity Stuffing" to the brine next time. I may also brine for longer, perhaps 24-36 hours, 18 was almost enough. I used a big pecan chunk for smoke, but with no drip pan, the turkey drippings on the coals smoke enough. The problem is that burning drippings make sooty smoke, which no one likes. I’ll use a drip pan for sure next year.[p]My wife did a "normal" turkey as well: A 23 pound bird, stuffed, at 350*, covered, in the oven for 5 hours. She also basted every 45 minutes. Mine was juicier![p]Luckily, we didn't give out doggie bags to our 10 guests, so I can have leftovers for a week or so. Yum.

• Char-Woody
    Mr. Toad, over the years (flying time) I have learned that everything Mr. Toad does is well worth repeating. Anyone disagree ? HEEEEEEEyyyyyyaaaaaahaaaaaaaa
    I just had to do that and I feel better.
    My e.mail box is still jammed..No get any. Maybe after 5 p.m. this afternoon. 48+ hour's now. USPS is faster than that.
    Cheers to ya mate...Char-Woody[p]