Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Dome temp vs. Maverick

Options
DonWW
DonWW Posts: 424
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks.  I am in the middle of a 3-2-1 rib cook on my XL.  Platesetter feet up.  My dome temp is showing about 250 but the grill probe is showing 320.  The ribs are wrapped, so I poked a BGE probe into the foil and got a temp of about 215.   I replaced both the probe and the unit (I have two).  I also moved the probe location to dead center of the grill.  Why the difference - in the wrong direction?  Dome has been calibrated
XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Both probes can be affected by touching the cook, or for the lower on having juices drip on it.  In a well controlled indirect the dome is eventually hotter than the grid.  The high cook will be done before the low.  If everything is  clear they might eventually sync, but you really just need to sort of average.  You will get a feel for it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Doc, probes are free and clear.  I have used them before for many cooks, but have never, ever seen them act this way.  Really mysterious.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.