Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No High Temperatures

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a new Egg, medium size however after following all instructions, I can not get temp. over 400,F. Whats wrong? Please help.

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Willie, Check to make sure the opening in your fire box is lined up with your bottom vent thats the trouble i had when i first got mine

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Willie,
    couple of things to check. .. [p]is the hole in the bottom of the firebox alligned with the lowever vent opening (it should be)[p]are you emptying any existing ash first and making sure all the vent holes are clear?[p]are you putting in a full load of lump (forget what the book says about a couple of handfuls - you should be filling it at least to the top of the firebox or even a little higher). ..[p]if you want nuclear temps, you should have the bottom vent wide open and the daisy wheel completely removed from the egg. ..[p]with all of these things you should have no trouble hitting 750+ . ...[p]HTH

• Unknown
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Thanks for the reply, I will try with daisy wheel off.I have followed all your other directions.Tks again.

• CT Grillguy
    Options
    If all these other suggestions don't fix it for you, your lump charcoal may be damp.
  • truhokie
    truhokie Posts: 17
    Options
    Willie,[p]I echo what the mad one says about using plenty of lump. I had a hard time at first from following the "Couple of handfulls" that the book suggests. I say fill 'er up.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Willie, yea you'll get the high temp when the wheel comes off, I get a good 350 with the wheel on for doing birds and things.