Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slowing my turkey down

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 15.5 lb brined bird on the egg. I planned on 30 min/lb, and started at 200 degrees dome to drive the smoke home. Then, I increased to 250. By the way, I started at 6:30 am w/ a target of 4 pm. My problem: the bird's at 150 degrees, and it's only 11:15 am!! Can I slow things down w/o hurting anything? I've dropped the dome temp to 150, and I figure I can leave it there for a few hours. Any ideas???[p]Thanks in advance,[p]David Saliba

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    David Saliba,
    I am not sure where you got the 30min/lb but 7 hr for a turkey is just way to long. I did one bird at those low temps and I did not like it at all. I much prefer to do them indirect at 325-350 and that bird would take 4 hrs I think. I do 10-12 lbs birds and it takes 3 hr. [p]Not much to do but finish it up. You might still have time to run to the store and get another to cook at 350 deg tonight if that one does not meet you expectations.[p]Tim